Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

adj. rocker arms?

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2007, 07:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adj. rocker arms?

Anyone know the proper way to adjust the rockers on a chevy sm.block 400? there supposed to be hydraulic rollers.
Old 01-28-2007, 08:52 PM
9 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lifters need to either be soaked in oil 24 hours or pumped up with oil squirt can. When the exhaust valve just starts to open, adjust the intake valve same cylinder. When the intake valve is almost ready to close adjust the exhaust valve. I tighten around 1/2 turn after contact.

There are other methods that only take 2 rotations to the TDC mark to adjust.
Old 01-30-2007, 08:03 AM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default adjusting valves

Here is the easiest way to solve your problem. FOR HYDROLIC LIFTERS!!!
1. Put the lifters in and close up the top end (BE SURE TO LUBE WITH OIL OR BETTER YET MOLY. REMEMBER THAT MOLY DOESNT BREAK DOWN IN OIL SO AFTER BREAK IN, CHANGE OIL AND FILTER AS IT WILL TO AN EXTENT CLOG THE FILTER)
2. Starting with the first valve on either side which is the exhaust turn the engine over by hand or if you can finess the switch or have a bud to help, bump the engine over to get the exhaust to just crack open. You are now one the base circle of the intake valve. SET THE INTAKE VALVE. Back off to 0 lash and tighten 1/2 to 5/8 turn.
3. Now turn engine over till the intake starts to close. You are now on the base circle of the exhaust lobe. SET THE EXHAUST. Back off to 0 lash and turn 1/2 to 5/8. Go to the next cylinder on that bank and repeat.
4. If you are afraid you will loose your place mark the rockers as you go ie. with a white out pen.
5. Once you have done this on one bank do the other bank the same way
6. You dont need to soak the lifters as the only way to get oil into them is to pump them up. That will be done by the engine when you fire it up. Since they are already set they may clack a bit after start up but if you went to 0 lash then adjusted to 1/2 or 5/8 turn you will not have to touch them again as they will pump right up and run fine.
7. Remember e i i e e i i e for the valve position on a SBC head and you will have no problems.
8. Be sure not to over tighten the rockers before starting as they may hit the pistons if you are running a close p to v and may result in problems. Only tighten them enough to hold the pushrod in the arm. If they are to tight just hold or watch the pushrod as it travels up and down to see where you are.

Let me know if you need more help and good luck

SHAKERHEADS@AOL.COM