Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Splayed cap differnces

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 11:46 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Splayed cap differnces

Really wanting to hear from CNC blocks NE on this one but is anyone familiar with a company like summit called Barnett Performance outa georgia? and if so can they tell a difference between the ductile iron splayed caps they sell for 80 dollars for all three and the ductile iron splayed caps sumitt sells from milodon for 250 dollars.
Old 03-24-2007, 01:42 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Oldsmobility85
Really wanting to hear from CNC blocks NE on this one but is anyone familiar with a company like summit called Barnett Performance outa georgia? and if so can they tell a difference between the ductile iron splayed caps they sell for 80 dollars for all three and the ductile iron splayed caps sumitt sells from milodon for 250 dollars.
I believe that ductile and nodular iron caps are the same materal we usae a lot of Bullet caps from Pro-Gram Engineering as they have been around for ever a they do a lot with some of the top engine builders in the U.S. As far as material it seems billet caps are the choice of engine builders who build high end engines.

Some of those caps have more then a 10 degree angle on the splayed outter bolts may get you into the water jackets and tring to fit stepped caps is a PIA do to the block register being different from side to side and they always fit the regester to tight.

We have been using the flat bottom caps from Pro-Gram and we cut the register and drill and tap for splayed caps in less then 20 minutes and those caps jobber out at 182 a set. And these caps have a 10 degree outter bolt which workd good on 010 type blocks.

There is a pic of a block we prepared for another shop in this link
https://ls1tech.com/forums/advanced-engineering-tech/652566-never-seen.html
Old 03-24-2007, 02:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

May i have a website on the warehouse that stocks these caps? If the jobber is 180ish people usually pay around 200 then right. I gotta do this i just picked up a set of brodix track 1X's so it should make some good power but i want to make sure i get the best bang for the buck. so do you not like the ductile iron have you ever had any bad experiences with them. I had a set before on my last block and you can just tell the strength difference between them and stock caps ive brocken a stock cap before they are garbage looking.
Old 03-25-2007, 11:39 AM
On The Tree

May i have a website on the warehouse that stocks these caps? If the jobber is 180ish people usually pay around 200 then right. I gotta do this i just picked up a set of brodix track 1X's so it should make some good power but i want to make sure i get the best bang for the buck. so do you not like the ductile iron have you ever had any bad experiences with them. I had a set before on my last block and you can just tell the strength difference between them and stock caps ive brocken a stock cap before they are garbage looking.
We have used quite a few sets of the 2482 caps from GM with out any troubles but most of the engines we build or blocks we prepare for other shops we have been using the Billet caps from http://pro-gram.com/
Old 03-26-2007, 10:44 AM
TECH Enthusiast

SB350C12F Chevrolet null > Main Caps > Pro-Gram Engineering > Small Block Billet > 350 > null
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Small block Chevy 350 flat bottom caps with angle bolts for blocks where stock dipstick usage is required.

Are these the ones
Old 03-26-2007, 11:45 AM
On The Tree

SB350C12F Chevrolet null > Main Caps > Pro-Gram Engineering > Small Block Billet > 350 > null
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Small block Chevy 350 flat bottom caps with angle bolts for blocks where stock dipstick usage is required.

Are these the ones
The only ones we use are the SB350CFA as I am not familar with the number.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:50 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I found them you think it would be neccessary to run the front cap 4 bolt as well based on what i told you before.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:42 AM
On The Tree

I found them you think it would be neccessary to run the front cap 4 bolt as well based on what i told you before.
Just a standard front billt cap should be more then enough as we have never seen a front cap break only the center ones and from time to time have seen some broken or cracked rear main caps.
Old 03-29-2007, 12:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yeah man thanks for you experience and knowledge and especially that pro gram website they sell them billit caps for less than summit sells ductile iron caps.
Old 03-29-2007, 10:49 PM
On The Tree

yeah man thanks for you experience and knowledge and especially that pro gram website they sell them billit caps for less than summit sells ductile iron caps.
Anytime

Quick Reply: Splayed cap differnces