Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

TPI timing question

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2007, 02:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default TPI timing question

Ok so my car is complete however im having a bit of trouble. I timed it to what i felt ws right. It ran good, i drove it today and its rich as all get out. Plugs will be fouled soon im sure. I hve a tune chip from hawks thirdgen. Timing is off, so does anyone know what timing should be on a TPI car. At cruise it was at 2k rpm and it would bump slightly down repeatidly. Like a hesitance every few seconds. Also has trouble starting. Can it be the maf not reading and throwing fuel in it?

Setup, 350ci, 224/230 110 lsa, nothing radical really just wont run right any suggestions?
Old 03-25-2007, 01:52 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Base timing is set at 6 degrees btdc. That is with the brown wire disconnected.
Old 03-26-2007, 06:37 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by 1970judge
Ok so my car is complete however im having a bit of trouble. I timed it to what i felt ws right. It ran good, i drove it today and its rich as all get out. Plugs will be fouled soon im sure. I hve a tune chip from hawks thirdgen. Timing is off, so does anyone know what timing should be on a TPI car. At cruise it was at 2k rpm and it would bump slightly down repeatidly. Like a hesitance every few seconds. Also has trouble starting. Can it be the maf not reading and throwing fuel in it?

Setup, 350ci, 224/230 110 lsa, nothing radical really just wont run right any suggestions?
110 LSA is not that easy to tune all the surge out of, a mail order chip probably won't do it and 112 would work better with fuel injection. And like was said above, all you can do is set base timing, which should be 6* btdc with the brown wire disconnected. The computer advances timing from there, and if you adjust timing all you are doing is ******* things up because the computer is always going to assume that the engine is at 6* btdc (or whatever base timing has been burned into the PROM).