Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Help choosing cam

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Help choosing cam

Newbie here, I need some help picking a cam. I am trying to build my first motor, and I have the following: 96 hydraulic roller block out of a truck stock bore 2 bolt main , speed pro cast aluminum flat top pistons, lt1 rods, stock gm crank, and the heads and intake are from this kit
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...1&autoview=sku my question is what cam and lifters should i get? My goal is to have a 12 second street/strip car. Realisticly, I will probably see more street time than strip. Behind it i have a t56 with 373 gears. Oh they are going into a 86 iroc. Thanks!!
Old 03-01-2008, 12:12 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The kit comes with a Lunati cam 235°/240° duration at .050, .490/.490 in. lift, and 112° lobe separation. That should be enough along with the heads to make the power you need to break into the 12's.

It doesn't say it's a hydraulic roller set up, which will cause two problems, one it won't have a hydraulic roller cam and the other the springs set up for a hydraulic flat tappet cam won't be right for your hydraulic roller.

But it looks like the kit is made for pre-86 motors, any reason you're choosing this kit?
Old 03-01-2008, 12:34 PM
On The Tree

I called jegs and they said that i could use those heads on the 96 block as long as it wasnt an lt1. I got them because i got a pretty good deal on them, but i didnt get the cam. If you need more info just let me know thanks
Old 03-01-2008, 01:27 PM
On The Tree

I called jegs and they recommended this cam http://store.summitracing.com/partde...8&autoview=sku
does anyone have any input on this cam? Thanks

Quick Reply: Help choosing cam