Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

How much air filter area is needed

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2008, 11:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How much air filter area is needed

I have a 14X3 open round and I was thinking of changing it. I like the looks of the oval, but it obviously has less filter area. I have a 383, 750 Holley/proform main body, Edelbrock RPM Air Gap, World Product Motown 220cc heads, 2.08/1.60's, large cam(not sure which one yet, just got the car), 1 5/8" primarys, 3" collectors & 3"full exh., so I need to breathe quite a bit. Those oval filter elements are set up for 1,2,or 3 carbs, but they are only like 2" tall. Dumb idea if you ask me. Would this oval style "choke" down the air I need, too much? I even thought about double stacking 2 filters. I have clearance for 'em. But, that may look stupid. Unless I could get a prefilter to cover them up, but I haven't seen any for the ovals.

Another topic dealing with air flow, I read on another post about checking the vacuum at WOT to see if the carb is big enough. Would someone elaborate on this? How much vacuum is too much and when do I take the reading? I am not one to put a bigger carb on for no reason, but I wonder if my 750 is flowing enough! Thanks

Quick Reply: How much air filter area is needed