Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Timing issues...

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:52 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Timing issues...

So I recently put together a SBC for my Regal. It runs good and starts right up so the timing cant be that far off. ...

However I went to put a timing light on the car and at idle with the vacuum advance disconnected it has 35 degrees of initial timing. This is using my timing light with the dial back style. Now I know that there is now way that this could be correct. With the cam that I am running I believe initial timing should be set around 12-14 degrees BTDC, and total timing should be around 34-36 degrees.

There is no way that I can back the timing down that far. Is my mechanical advance already advancing my 900 RPM? I have a Mallory HEI distributor that I haven't changed the springs or weights. It also has a Mallory 6AL ignition box. It has the stock timing chain cover with the spot welded timing tab on it, and I purchased a new SFI approved balancer when I put the new engine together.

I am confused right now and don't know what I am doing wrong. Any ideas?
Old 07-18-2008, 02:37 PM
In-Zane Moderator

Received 32 Likes on 19 Posts

Well, i have had the 2 o clock timing cover on a damper for 1200 noon and it will make it seem what it isnt.
Old 07-18-2008, 11:01 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats easy to check roll the engine over pull out #1 plug check at tdc. Then you will know if cover is right

Quick Reply: Timing issues...