Small Block & Big Block Chevy Specific Mouse & Rat Motor Discussion & Conversions

Quick Question on speed/times...

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2008, 07:04 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Quick Question on speed/times...

I got a 1987 Pontiac Formula Firebird, quick little car (automatic 700r4, 3.23 highway gear, forged pistons and stroked to 383) and it has a holley 700cfm 4bbl, holley electric fuel pump, edelbrock intake and a mild cam. I got it tuned up pretty good now (she had a winter tune, so she was spitting fuel out the exhaust) and I was wondering what kind of times you think I should be running in the 1/4 mile. I figured low 14's to high 13's if I could get traction (at Lapeer ... doubtful with street tires).

thx.

btw - pics and vids will be posted as soon as I get them.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:32 AM
On The Tree

Any ideas of what this car could run? c'mon now y'all...

car's still in the shop today. I can't wait to get 'er back out on the street again.
Old 07-29-2008, 11:34 PM
Staging Lane

Stock heads? Yeah your estimate sounds about right. Put some better heads on there and you could pick up a second in the 1/4 mile.
Old 07-30-2008, 06:24 AM
On The Tree

thanks!
Old 08-05-2008, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Photo, as promised. Car did a 14.50, with me fighting the whole way for traction. There's a photo of my single-wheeled burnout (non-positrac).
Old 09-24-2008, 10:24 AM
On The Tree

Okay, update:

I got the same stuff in the car. Blew out the rear diff, though, so the car's back in the garage again (back home in NJ now...)

Best time? 13.69 @ 103mph, still having traction problems.

Now, onto the issues:
1) The float is almost definitely stuck. This is my first carb'd car since ... well ... that Gremlin, but let's not go there. Either way, while I know how to clean a carb, I don't know the first thing about rebuilding one. It's a regular Holley 650 (like, the type you get at Autozone). What should I do - go with a bigger one? Just stick in a new float? The car almost dies when you hit the gas - flooding the carb I think - and it's still running rich as all hell. It's a 389cid motor (350 bored 60 and stroked w/ 3.83" stroke crank)
2) The heads aren't flowing enough. I lose power like crazy up top, and the cam's getting into the powerband as the car shifts - what kind of heads should I go with? I've looked at Edelbrock Performer RPM's, but I'd like a lower-budget head. Any good quality, somewhat cheaper heads?
3) The throttle cable to the trans isn't adjusted right - what sounds like a fair price to get this done (this is something that's a little beyond me in terms of my knowledge)? It's currently shifting at 5000, needs to be closer to 6500 (once I get the heads built) or 5500 for these heads.

Any ideas of what else I should put in? I need some longtubes. Any ideas of what else should be done while I have all this taken care of? Gonna replace the valve cover gaskets and head gaskets, as well as all the seals on the trans that're seeping right now.

Also, if you know of a good place in the area to get the work done, or good quality, cheap parts for these older cars, I'd love to hear about it. After all, I am not doing the best in terms of cash, but I'd love to see 12.50's or better. This'll all be done over the winter, gonna save up money for the rest of this year. Might even have to wait for a swap meet or two to come around and get the parts then.
Old 09-24-2008, 01:49 PM
Banned

I have a rhs headed zz4 with a very healthy cam and FULL bolt-ons and a T-56 with 3.42gears and I run low to mid 7s in the 1/8th on motor. Im sure I could touch 11s on motor in the quarter at 116-120 and alot more on spray. 3rd gens are great cars and can be very fast with the right setup, dont be happy with those times as your car prolly has alot more in it. Buy some AFRs or Trick Flows or RHS heads and put a healthy cam in and your goals will be easily achieved. Do not buy long tubes unless you get the hookers or something nicer, I put heddmans on my car and they fit horribly. Just keep working on it and post up here before you buy anything, there are alot of guys here with fast 3rd gens and we know what to buy and what not to buy. Good luck bro, and keep on reppin for us mullet wearing rednecks...
-Jeremy

Quick Reply: Quick Question on speed/times...