Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

question about a camaro???????

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2011 | 03:18 PM
On The Tree

Default question about a camaro???????

does anyone know if that part between the t-tops and back glass is called a sail panel? and could that part be taken off to be painted mine starting to bubble and its agrrevating or could you just buy one already painted
Old 02-08-2011 | 08:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

GM used the wrong glue. That is why it bubbles if out in the sun much. They have a broadcast sheet on it, but I think it was only good for 6 or 7 yrs 100k miles. Sheet instructs to replace it because it will come back over time. Might be 5-10 years who knows. They screwed me on the fix. First time I was under 100k and they said knew nothing about it. Found sheet I was 3k over. Oh well.
Old 02-08-2011 | 08:23 PM
On The Tree

Search On ebay they have some replacement sail panel pieces that are nice. You can get silver looking ones with designs made in them, like it says ls1 or whatever on the bottom. Or there is a guy that makes custom vinyl that can go over it. Not sure is he is a member here he has a web site that he sell all his pieces that he makes for camaros and firebirds. I'll have to find it if your interested.
Old 02-09-2011 | 08:01 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by nighttrain 1340
GM used the wrong glue. That is why it bubbles if out in the sun much. They have a broadcast sheet on it, but I think it was only good for 6 or 7 yrs 100k miles. Sheet instructs to replace it because it will come back over time. Might be 5-10 years who knows. They screwed me on the fix. First time I was under 100k and they said knew nothing about it. Found sheet I was 3k over. Oh well.
my car is a 2000 ss with 50k miles so im sure they will not even touch mine really around here.
Old 02-09-2011 | 08:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by SoWazIt2You
Search On ebay they have some replacement sail panel pieces that are nice. You can get silver looking ones with designs made in them, like it says ls1 or whatever on the bottom. Or there is a guy that makes custom vinyl that can go over it. Not sure is he is a member here he has a web site that he sell all his pieces that he makes for camaros and firebirds. I'll have to find it if your interested.
Yes let me know, that custom vinyl you just put over the old sail panel ?
Old 02-11-2011 | 02:25 PM
TECH Senior Member

The only way to fix it is to replace the panel...repainting will not fix it...dont know about a viny cover that sounds a little ricey to me. There is a zillion page long post on the subject here on tech... GM does not make the part anymore but 6litereater is going to make some if he gets enough people (10) to commit to ordering them from him..or you can go to a junk yard and take one off of a car built before 3/1998.

Quick Reply: question about a camaro???????