Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

And another one gone

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:33 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Damian
From what I gather, these guys are doing this 1 of 2 ways:
-Getting your VIN information off the windshield and having a key made
-Flat bed

So, 2 ways to prevent this would be:
-Cover your VIN plate at all times
-Try not to ever leave your car outside overnight

I had one of my motorcycles stolen right off the sidewalk of my gym a few years back. I swore I'd kill the bastard who stole it, so I can't imagine what it feels like to have a car stolen.
Don't think so buddy. Nada on both of them.

I know you know f-bodies because I have seen your posts and the saying in your sig. You will have to dig a lil deeper than that. Flat beds take too long and with the VIN deal, our local dealers are required to ask for something with the VIN and your name on it with a picture ID.

My cousin's WS6 was stolen in front of his house. He backed it up to the front of the house, so there was no way to ****** it from the back. There were no markings on the ground from a flatbed. No glass broken or anything.

Damian, you know about the pellet in the key. A key is like the numbers of the Powerball lottery. All the teeth are the numbers and the powerball is the pellet. You can have a key cut without a pellet and it will turn the lock cylinder but the car will not start. IIRC there are 10 or 15 possible "pellets", they are just a resistor. I am an ASEP GM graduate and worked at a dealer for a length of time and my cousin worked at CircuitCity and used to do car stereo and alarms. The remote start alarms just required you to put a resistor at the base of the column where the orange wire comes from the lock cylinderto fool the theft system into thinking the key is there all the time. I have done this as the "cheap" repair when a customer doesn't want to pay to have the lock cylinder replaced.

Think about this, If you had an anti theft system you pulled out of another car that works perfectly fine and you had it all the way down to the lock cylinder, and you had a car that the key is missing and there is no way to start it but you have the door open. What is the fastest way to get that car started with no regards to how you get it started?

Last edited by 87silverbullet; 08-08-2011 at 04:41 PM.
Old 08-08-2011, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

yea no flat bed the basterds drove it off