Southern Members A regional forum for all our down South members.

94 3.4 camaro computer issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2008, 04:29 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 94 3.4 camaro computer issue

I've got a little beater car with tons of miles that is giving me a little bit of an issue. It skips randomly, more so underload. I tried jumping the diagnostic port out and getting the codes, but I get no flashing of the SES light. It does actually light up on start and then goes out. On long drives it will come on, but I can't get it to give me any codes. I changed the computer in it and nothing.. any suggestions?
Old 04-12-2008, 05:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It probably needs a coil pack......
Old 04-13-2008, 02:18 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 46 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm not sure about the V6 cars, but I know on the LT1s you can't jump the diagnostic port on 94+ cars to get codes. That only works with 93 and earlier. 94+ are a different computer. You have to hook up a scan tool to check the code.

You can usually go to auto zone or a dealership and get is scanned for free or cheap.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:30 AM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Scanning of codes will be usless. Being a pre 96 car it's an OBD1 system....It won't tell you anything. It's very generic. It would probably just say " ignition system". On the 96 up stuff...which is OBD2...it will pinpoint it more for you, like " misfire on cyl 2 and 5". Like I said...i'd be willing to be it needs a coil.
Old 04-13-2008, 04:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Jeff@SpectacleSolutions
Scanning of codes will be usless. Being a pre 96 car it's an OBD1 system....It won't tell you anything. It's very generic. It would probably just say " ignition system". On the 96 up stuff...which is OBD2...it will pinpoint it more for you, like " misfire on cyl 2 and 5". Like I said...i'd be willing to be it needs a coil.
This is not entirely correct.

Again, I'm not as familiar with the v6 specific codes, but for ignition on the LT1 there are separate codes for the opti, the ignition module, etc. I know there are multiple ignition codes for v6s as well. And besides there are other things that could cause that behavior besides just ignition, but you are right that is a good place to start.

Reading the code will give you a good indication of where the problem is. Yes it is true that OBD2 codes are more specific, but the OBD1 codes are far from useless. There are diagnostic procedures for each code that will allow you to determine the exact source of the problem. This is much better than just guessing. Roy, if you give me the code number(s) I can send you the diagnostic info for it. A have a GM service manual for 94 year cars which covers V6s also.
Old 04-13-2008, 02:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

is the coil pack failure common on these cars? I read somewhere that the control board on the bottom is somethign that goes bad

it has a 16 pin connector like a third gen where it has a diagnostic pin that you ground and it flashes the service engine light... thats part of the problem. It should flash all normal with the computer.. regardless of a code stored.
Old 04-13-2008, 03:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ba78ta
it has a 16 pin connector like a third gen where it has a diagnostic pin that you ground and it flashes the service engine light... thats part of the problem. It should flash all normal with the computer.. regardless of a code stored.
That's what I'm saying. You can't do this with 94+ years. Yes it has the 16 pin connector, but you can't flash the service light to get codes. That only works on 93 and prior years. You have to read it with an obd1 scan tool. There is no other way to get the codes.

Quick Reply: 94 3.4 camaro computer issue