LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Special Edition Vehicles (https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-edition-vehicles-30/)
-   -   "factory freaks"? Someone explain. (https://ls1tech.com/forums/special-edition-vehicles/1040530-factory-freaks-someone-explain.html)

ckyconan2003 02-23-2009 11:00 PM

i'm pretty sure they exist. but it seems to be more common with the M6 cars. maybe its not the motors, could the transmissions or rearend gearing have anything to do with it?

Nemean 02-23-2009 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by 96autoformula (Post 11054129)
So anyone want to chime in on the fact that some '96 LT1 cars got VARIOUS left over LT4 parts? Anyone? Beuller? Since, it was common knowledge and GM actually did leak out that it happened. Some F-Bodies "mistakenly" got the LT4 cam and/or valvetrain. Some were even rumored to have the LT4 heads and cam but that's never been confirmed through GM. So yes, factory freaks....exist. But not in Mustangs, they're all slow.

that doesnt make it a factory freak. It makes it a factory cheat.. Thats just like the 01 02 Fbodies getting Ls6 heads because of GM running out of LS1 heads.... Doesnt make it a freak... Makes it a mistake... Now in a sense of my 1999 eclipse GST beating slightly modded GST's from rolls... Thats a factory freak..

waldershrek 02-27-2009 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by BriancWS6 (Post 10795472)
Factory freak does not mean that there were different parts "accidentally" installed. There are manufacturing tolerances that can and do happen, as well as assembly procedures varying slightly from car to car. Also, the way the car was driven while new can have an impact on how it performs.

Let's face it, although the cars SHOULD be very comparable in actual performance, if you were to purchase 5 new F bods back in 02, 01, etc, and put them all on the dyno, and run them at the strip, some will be faster than others. It's just reality.

With all that said, my definition of a factory freak is one that performs better than the average car but they will have the same factory installed parts.

Having a superb driver coupled with a good running car can make it tick off some great times, making it seem even more "freakish".

I hadn't had my car but a month or two when I took it to the track on street tires and it layed down multiple 13.0 at 108.xx with sub-par 2.xx 60fts. After those passes I got it in the 12.9s at nearly 109 mph....108.96 to be exact, with only a 2.050 short time. The car layed down 321 rwhp/331rwtq later that summer with only an SLP lid.

I know for a fact I have driven some other m6 f bods that didn't have what it takes to run 12s stock or nearly stock, even if I drove them the same as I did my own.

This is the first real post in this thread. This is a factory freak, not some employee who put the wrong parts on a car or some GM experiment car.