Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

2002 ZL1 car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2009, 07:55 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 2002 ZL1 car?

I'm just curious on details of a 2002 ZL1 that was purchased at Lujack Chevrolet in Davenport, IA. I remember seeing one at a local car show in 02-03 with a cage and the Cragars and looked like the Bill Porterfield car. Just curious what car it is since thats my hometown.

Any info appreciated.
Old 11-19-2009, 08:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might help if you could say what color it was, what stripe type it had, and even the interior color.

If you tell me that, I can probably tell ya.
Old 11-19-2009, 11:45 AM
12 Second Club

My bad lol. I'm not quite sure what color car exactly was sold at Lujacks. Just curious on the Lujacks sold car, nothing real serious.

The one I saw was red like this and only saw it one time.

Old 11-20-2009, 09:20 AM
Teching In

A car collector in toledo ohio owns that Bill Porterfiled car I seen it 2 years ago at norwalk raceway at the night under fire race.The guy was racing it I think it went 11.80 the owner explaind to me that this car was the only 2002 camaro that had a factory warranty with a turbo 400 trans.
Old 11-20-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

i think "ZL" is an SLP trademark
Old 11-20-2009, 12:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by hawk584
i think "ZL" is an SLP trademark
i'm pretty sure ZL1 was an rpo code back in 69. I really don't think SLP has trademarked ZL LOL
Old 11-20-2009, 01:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

https://ls1tech.com/forums/racers-lo...-must-see.html
Old 11-20-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

dont have to chew my head off,it was just a thought since they sell badges on their website
Old 12-15-2009, 06:32 PM
WANNABE GENIUS

Originally Posted by Asian LSX
I'm just curious on details of a 2002 ZL1 that was purchased at Lujack Chevrolet in Davenport, IA. I remember seeing one at a local car show in 02-03 with a cage and the Cragars and looked like the Bill Porterfield car. Just curious what car it is since thats my hometown.

Any info appreciated.
Really?! Someone bought a ZL1 in town? Well My buddy greg has worked at Lujacks for years and owns plenty of performance cars. I could ask him if he knows
Old 12-19-2009, 12:23 PM
12 Second Club

That would be cool. I'm not trying to stalk the car/owner and steal it. I'm just curious on details of the car since it suprises me Lujacks got in on the ZL1 action.

http://www.batterytoppers.com/gallery/2002_zl1.html

12 Chevrolet Dealers Participated in the 2002 ZL-1 SUPER CAR Project
Berger Chevrolet: Grand Rapids, MI - 28 Camaros
Tom Henry Chevrolet: Bakerstown, PA - 7 Camaros
Hendrick Chevrolet: Cary, NC - 7 Camaros
Fairway Chevrolet: Las Vegas, NV - 7 Camaros
Jack Caulg Chevrolet: West BLoomfield, MI - 4 Camaros
Purifoy Chevrolet: Ft. Lupton, CO - 4 Camaros
Superior Chevrolet: Merriam, KS - 4 Camaros
West Chevrolet: Alcoa, TN - 3 Camaros
Lujack Chevrolet: Davenport, IA - 1 Camaro
John Londoff Chevrolet: Florissant, MO - 1 Camaro
Dave Kirk Chevrolet: Crossville, TN - 1 Camaro
Old 12-19-2009, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

I've never seen that break-down of who received what # of cars. Awesome info!
Old 12-19-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 2002 ZL1 car?

I am been watching this thread for a little while now and wanted to wait to see if somebody "thought" they knew the answer to this or "really did" know the answer to this question. Some additional things I might add is:

1) Carl's list (Carl owns Legendary Battery Toppers and owns both the #65 Fathom Green 1969 ZL1 and the #65 Phase III 2002 Fathom Green ZL1 Supercar) is not complete. Carl also lives in Iowa too so originially, three of the 2002 ZL1 Supercars called the State of Iowa their home (as you will see below). Anyway, the #63 car that Tom Jackson ordered (a white Phase I base ZL1 Supercar) was purchased new from the dealer in his home town of Peoria, Illinois. He sold this car year before last and the new owner almost immediately took it to Barrett-Jackson in Scottsdale, AZ and sold it again. Here is a pic of it when he brought it to our all camaro show here in Des Moines, Iowa in 2004 (photo below). You will note, this car doesn't appear on the list as being sold in Illinois from the dealer in Peoria, Illinois.

2) Dave Belk who lives in the Quad Cities owned the #2 Garnet Red Phase III 2002 ZL1 Supercar however, like mine, it came from Berger Chevrolet in Grand Rapids, Michigan but originally, he had ordered a Sebring Silver (I believe that was the color of it) Phase III ZL1 which he in turn sold to a guy in Arkansas who then took delivery of it and he puchased this Garnet Red #2 ZL1 Supercar. I "believe" the original car he ordered had a number of like "28" possibly. The reason why he sold the original car he ordered............he wanted a car with the lowest number possible. The #1 car was already spoken for by Bill Porterfield who at that time owned the original #1 1969 ZL1 and the #3 2002 Phase III Daytona Yellow ZL1 Supercar was spoken for by Charlie Lilliard in California who owned the "ONLY" 1969 ZL1 Camaro sold by Berger Chevrolet - a Daytona Yellow car which was the #3 1969 ZL1 car. Then Dave owned the #2 Garnet Red 2002 ZL1 Supercar. I have posted the only picture of it that I could quickly find of it. It was featured in the April 2004 issue of Chevy Rumble along with my #17 Phase II Onyx Black 2002 ZL1 Supercar. You will note his personalized Iowa License Plate (GMMGZL1) on the back of the car. He owned it for about a year and then sold it. Where it is now..................I have no idea. The same thing is true with the original car that Dave never took delivery of. The "orginal" Phase III car is the one that I "believe" was ordered through Lujack in the Quad Cities. I tried calling Dave to verify this information before I posted this however, he didn't answer his phone so I left a message asking him to give me a call. When he returns my call, I will post the answer that I receive from him. I "believe" that what I have posted above is correct, however...................I won't know for sure until Dave returns my call.

Here is an article from the LaHarpe Illinois newspaper that backs up at least some of my story until Dave returns my call.

http://www.quillnewspaper.com/2003/Mar03/a0506a1.html

Last edited by 02_Phase2_ZL1; 12-19-2009 at 06:43 PM. Reason: To add newspaper link
Old 12-22-2009, 07:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Default 2002 ZL1 car?

Well........................my post above was exactly correct.

Dave Belk called me this morning. The only error in my post above was the number of the car. I was thinking that it was #28 and Dave told me that it was the #26 car.

He ordered it from Lujack Chevrolet in the Quad Cities and before it came in, he had the opportunity to purchase the #2 car from Gary Holub up around the Marion/Cedar Rapids, Iowa area who had decided not to purchase one after all. So, Dave sold the #26 car to Charles Lumpkin in Arkansas and when the car came in, Charles Lumpkin came up from Arkansas and took delivery of the car. It was a Phase III car and so was the #2 Garnet Red car that Dave purchased that Gary Holub originally ordered from Berger Chevrolet. Dave told me that Charles Lumpkin has sold this #26 car sometime back and he heard that a collector purchased it who owns several other 2002 ZL1 Supercars. Dave orginally sold his #2 car to a used car dealer also in Arkansas who dabbles in exotic cars. Dave knew at the time that the dealer took all the decals, wheels, etc. off the car and put stock wheels etc. on it as the guy that the dealer sold this #2 Garnet Red car to wanted a "sleeper" and didn't want anyone to know that it was a ZL1.

So...........................your question has been definitely answered.

The Lujack car was the #26 Sebring Silver Phase III 2002 ZL1 Supercar Camaro.

I believe that "possibly" this #26 car is with a collector in South Carolina, South Virginia, or somewhere out on the east coast. I know at one time Matt Murphy told me about a guy out on the east coast who had accumlated about a dozen or so of these cars.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

When people remove decals from cars like this, I get a new wrinkle between my eyebrows.
Old 12-24-2009, 09:24 AM
12 Second Club

Thanks for the info J.D. I had always been curious about what car was sold at Lujacks. thanks for posting some info and pictures.

Quick Reply: 2002 ZL1 car?