Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

How rare?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 05:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

JohnnyBs98WS6Rag--

GM's official records aren't perfect either. The biggest flaw I've found in them is the availability of Medium Quasar Blue in '93 but no production number for the number made. I've discussed this with GM customer service and finally somebody in the archive department, and they didn't know what the deal was either. They suggested it was a late availability color (which is possible) yet their records of any Camaros being produced in the color don't exist. If you hang around on ebay or autotrader for a few years like I have, you'll discover there were several in that color.

I've looked at your breakdowns in the past, and I'm sorry to say this, but they're full of errors. I think we can all appreciate the effort you've put into your data sorting, but the end results are wildly inaccurate. Sherwood Green Metallic? Black Rose Metallic? I really have no idea where you found anything supporting these names or their use on 4th gen Camaros. If you only had correct information in your tables, I think they'd be neat and useful.

The Camaro White book is the most reliable for production figures, but even it has its share of inaccuracies. I've found it to be more accurate than other sources however.

Camaroz28.com's production figures can't be trusted, and neither can Compnine's in certain areas.

The one's on my site can be trusted for the most part as can the one's on Camarosource.ca
Old 03-11-2010, 07:22 AM
12 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

rarest thing i know of for the 4th gens is that 20 camaros were made with the LS1 in 1997..but nobody seems to know where they went...they were called Cormaro's...
Old 03-11-2010, 07:48 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
rarest thing i know of for the 4th gens is that 20 camaros were made with the LS1 in 1997..but nobody seems to know where they went...they were called Cormaro's...
another off topic is the fact they there was a prototype ls1 trans am that had 1996 decals all over it and marked by GM. They are there. Most got crushed or donated to tech schools
Old 03-11-2010, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Red leather interior is HOT. Only on a few color cars though.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Black FormulaLs1
That's mostly true. They were used to test the Corvette LS1, and the chassis was shortened. The museum in Bowling Green might still have the only remaining Cor-camaro. I asked Scott Settlemire about them and several other Camaros, and he believed they were all sent to the crusher.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:55 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Brangeta
That's mostly true. They were used to test the Corvette LS1, and the chassis was shortened. The museum in Bowling Green might still have the only remaining Cor-camaro. I asked Scott Settlemire about them and several other Camaros, and he believed they were all sent to the crusher.
they have not or I would have pics
Old 03-11-2010, 02:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

Have not what? Crushed them? I think they were crushed in the late 90s/early 2000s. Some of the show cars like the "Cool-side" Camaro, perhaps the "Play It Loud" Camaro, and some others were crushed in (I believe) 2005.

Here's a pic I have of the Cor-camaro that still hopefully exists. I think I got this from a magazine or book.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:19 PM
12 Second Club

Have not what? Crushed them? I think they were crushed in the late 90s/early 2000s. Some of the show cars like the "Cool-side" Camaro, perhaps the "Play It Loud" Camaro, and some others were crushed in (I believe) 2005.

Here's a pic I have of the Cor-camaro that still hopefully exists. I think I got this from a magazine or book.
Thats the old delievery area... wierd
Old 03-11-2010, 02:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I believe there is one of the cor-maros at the Corvette Museum.
Old 03-11-2010, 02:24 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bryan921SS
I believe there is one of the cor-maros at the Corvette Museum.
Like said above, if so its no longer on display. I go ever few months or when im bored.
Old 03-11-2010, 03:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 227 Likes on 182 Posts

JohnnyBs98WS6Rag--

GM's official records aren't perfect either.

The Camaro White book is the most reliable for production figures, but even it has its share of inaccuracies. I've found it to be more accurate than other sources however.

Camaroz28.com's production figures can't be trusted........
Exactly. If you can't believe GM's own records, WHO CAN you believe? It comes down to who's data source has the most credibility.

The one's on my site can be trusted for the most part as can the one's on Camarosource.ca
With all due respect (and I do like how your site is laid out with the photos of the different colors) but who/what is your data source?

Sherwood Green Metallic? Black Rose Metallic? I really have no idea where you found anything supporting these names or their use on 4th gen Camaros.
Just going by the RPO codes that showed-up in their database. When the total number of cars built in the "known" production colors didn't add up to the total # of cars built, I went digging for other (potentially undocumented) paint codes. Those were the paint RPO codes I found, and most time they were combined with other paint codes on the same cars (as clearly explained in my breakdowns). Who knows, maybe GM used "19U" and "73U" to mean something completely different than exterior paint color for that model year. However, the RPO code tables out there (and not just CompNine's) cross these codes to those colors. I can't explain why the database contains these anomalies, but I felt it was better to over-research and dig to the bottom of the mystery, document my findings best I can, than it was to ignore that info and present a table that literally would not add up. Seems to me having incomplete and inconsistent data is less credible than having a number breakdown that at least adds up. At least it gets you head scratching rather than omitting info.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:06 PM
On The Tree

My old 95':

Old 03-12-2010, 11:20 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
With all due respect (and I do like how your site is laid out with the photos of the different colors) but who/what is your data source?
I have some production records from GM I got in the early 2000s, and I compared them to ones on Camarosource, Camaroz28, whatever that Firebird site is that I can't remember the name of at the moment, and the Camaro White book once I finally found one. The difference between my site and the other sources is that I lumped all of the years together and have production totals for each color, rather than separating it by year. I think that's more useful, at least in terms of spotting a car.

By the way, one other thing worth mentioning is do not trust coffee table books that offer broad overviews of Camaros '67-'10. Those books typically contain the most errors just because of the amount of content they are providing. I've read several of them, and it's just shocking some of the things that are said in them.

Also, RPO decoding won't give you the correct names for the paint colors. Often a color would be used on multiple models and it would be given a public name specific to Camaros, Corvettes, etc. The names on my site are all correct, and you can double check your list if you like by using it. On my page, I dropped the RPO code and just used the paint code. Meaning, paint code 80 is the same thing as RPO code 80U.
Old 03-13-2010, 02:16 AM
TECH Addict

ok, but i have now seen 4 WS-6's with this interior..all exactly the same.. so, i think it was something that could be ordered and really does make the car rare.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:24 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by meine96ws6
ok, but i have now seen 4 WS-6's with this interior..all exactly the same.. so, i think it was something that could be ordered and really does make the car rare.
My 95' came from the factory with the red leather; and a hard top......making it even more exclusive.

By the way, you have a beautiful car meine96ws6.

Quick Reply: How rare?