Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

96 LS-1 TA prototype

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2010, 11:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 236 Likes on 187 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Jon87transam
i'm not trying to start any crap here, but RPO LT1 says it left St. Threrese with a LT1 motor also!
I'm sure you're not. But yep, welcome to last week.

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
RPO LT1 indicates St Therese installed a LT1 by 3/96, that doesn't prove that GM engineering didn't swap it out at a later date.
Originally Posted by Jon87transam
i went to a local college here and went thru the auto body program. we had several vehicles donated from GM, and i know how we treated those cars! we didn't mask anything either. our instructor walked around them with a hammer in hand, and put a pretty nice dent in them for all of us students to work on. there were over 25 of us! you better hope that car didn't suffer under those conditions somewhere!
From all indications, that's exactly the kind of treatment this particular mule has seen. Not worth $6K unless you want it in your museum just because you have space to fill. Put a sign in front of it:

"Rare 1996 LS1 GM Engineering Mule Trans Am"
(unrestored as the crusher should've received it)
Old 06-21-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyBs98WS6Rag
The seller had posted this in another thread originally (which has since been moved or deleted). His story on the paint was that it was put on by some school for a class project or something like that. They didn't bother to cut-in the door jambs and did a poor masking job no doubt. As a mule, it obviously wasn't treated w/ TLC. Like I mentioned earlier, RPO 41U indicates it left St. Threrese as a black car, so it squares w/ the seller's story about the re-paint.
I don't remember the name of it, but there was a fairly famous Trans Am that some school kids made for GM back in the 90s or early 00s. It was kind of a chromalusion painted car. Kind of pink and purple if I remember right.
Old 06-22-2010, 06:15 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 95-96 z28 enginering mule that used to be (and may still be) shown at the corvette museum in bowling green looked pretty ruff too...but they werent afraid to show it off. it had a prototype 97 C5 running gear in it, all the way back to the transaxle. my buddy and i were laying on the floor looking at all the stuff underneath, everybody (including our wifes) thought we had lost it! that car had def. been used and abused.

Quick Reply: 96 LS-1 TA prototype