Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

Collector questions

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2011, 07:41 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Collector questions

Hey guys I just traded my cammed 98 ss hardtop for a 99 vert nbm ss and it has slp exhaust option auburn diff and leather. If I wanted to do minor things to it like lid and smooth bellows should I just box up original stuff and keep for future or would SLP aftermarket stuff like lid smooth bellows etc. since their the official SS builder? This is a cruiser but I'd like to clean it up and take it to cruise-ins and be able to raise the hood. Also what about lowering springs and suspension components? This is a low mileage car that is bone stock.
Old 04-20-2011, 11:20 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If you have the room available, why not box'em up & put'em away, 'just in case'?!?
I did, ..., My garage attic is full of spare parts, ...

Hope ya didn't buy it on plans for makin' any money some day as a 'collector car' tho.
Cuz I really doubt it, ...

Drive it, enjoy yer days, ..., & when it's all over, ..., no big deal dumpin' it off.

Last edited by PontiacFan; 04-20-2011 at 11:26 AM.
Old 04-20-2011, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I just plan on keeping it forever just want to be able to keep it as clean and virginesque as possible. I'll buy one to beat on in a couple of years and cut it up with no reservations. No plans of it being an investment.
Old 04-21-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I inherited my 93 Hawk when I was in high school. My grandfather collected cars and when he passed I was left with some $ for college and the Hawk. My favorite memory of him was driving around LA in his POS el camino. Funny he drove that, when he passed he had around 50+ vehicles including some exotics and some real relics. But that was just him and he loved the camino. we would go everywhere in that thing and I would de-shell pistachios and we would split them. we would drive up to tommy burger, el pollo loco or a hole-in-the-wall mexican joint, maybe go see a movie. he was my best friend and my Hawk is the single most important thing to me because it reminds me of him. when i got it, it had just over 6k on the odometer, 8 years later i have 10,xxx. the thing is pristine. if i changed anything on it, i would keep the parts, just in-case. you never know what the next owner may want. but what is the harm in keeping them? no harm. shoot if you f something up, bam you have an extra. i have it insured via Hagerty, but just because it is insured for a high amount doesn't mean the average person would buy it for that. it would take a very special buyer, and although i have had offers, it is highly unlikely, down the road i could actually get what it is insured for. these vehicles aren't investments. just enjoy it...keep the parts as spare, or just in-case

plus, no offense, an nbm ls1 ss is dime-a-dozen...on my side of things, who wants an lt1 hawk? now if it was THE green 92 hawk or something you couldn't find for sale in 2 minutes online or 10 minutes driving down the road...well that is a different story...down the road something like that could bring some dough

Last edited by LT1_Hawk; 04-21-2011 at 12:07 AM.
Old 04-21-2011, 10:08 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My 2 cents...

If the part was something optional when the car was new and considered an improvement, it won't hurt the value any/much if you change it. Ex: SLP blackwing air lid, SLP cold air induction, SLP floor mats, SLP bilstein suspension, SLP 1LE suspension, Center mount exhaust or Dual-Dual. (Some of those parts weren't available in 1999, like CME, so changing those items makes the car incorrect to the year... which could hurt the value)

If you switch to SLP parts that weren't optional content, and were aftermarket SLP parts, then it's going to hurt the value. Ex: Loudmouth exhaust, Powerflo exhaust, smooth bellows? (I'm not sure what those are actually).

Keep the original parts no matter what. In ten years, those low mileage, stock parts are going to be very, very hard to find and actually worth some money if you then decide to sell them separate from the car.

All of our cars are stock, and people are impressed (particularly with the '95) that we've been able to keep the car stock so many years. If you're barely going to drive the car, why spend money modifying it? Put the money toward a vacation and don't worry about trying to impress others. When you eventually go to sell your car, it's going to be more enticing than a car that's been modified. Not many people want to buy a modified car unless the owner documents exactly what was changed and saves the part numbers and such in case that part needs to be worked on or replaced.