Special Edition Vehicles Firehawk | SS | WS6 | Berger | Blackbird | Comp T/A

2006 Impala SS question

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2006, 04:43 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2006 Impala SS question

I am looking to buy the '06 impala SS. My question deals with the engine (5.3) sitting sideways and that it is front wheel drive.

There is a frame built under the engine.

1. Is that to support the extra weight of the engine?
2. Is that to support the extra hp?

Basically what I need to know in considering purchase, is a 5.3 going to work fine sitting sideways in a front wheel drive car? What are some of the downfalls in this type of setup? Anything I should know about with this type of setup, before purchase?

Pros and cons from the ones who know.
Old 03-18-2006, 10:52 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inaccord
I am looking to buy the '06 impala SS. My question deals with the engine (5.3) sitting sideways and that it is front wheel drive.

There is a frame built under the engine.

1. Is that to support the extra weight of the engine?
2. Is that to support the extra hp?

Basically what I need to know in considering purchase, is a 5.3 going to work fine sitting sideways in a front wheel drive car? What are some of the downfalls in this type of setup? Anything I should know about with this type of setup, before purchase?

Pros and cons from the ones who know.

1. Thats a subframe, no different from the first and second gen Fbodys. 99% of the FWD cars on the road have a front subframe, because 99.9 % are unibody cars.
2. No, they all have it. I believe the Impala and Grand Prix GXP have an aluminum subframe that is hydroformed. Strong, light and very stiff.

As far as the LS4 sitting sideways, GM has been putting their FWD V8's and V6's sideways for 25 years now. Other than the fact that its a fwd car at all, the Impala is a nice piece, and doesn't have any downfall any other fwd car has. The LS4 shouldn't have any problems special to this application because of how its mounted in the engine compartment.
Good luck, they seem like nice cars.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:06 AM
Teching In

You say it isn't a new setup. What other vehicles are v-8, front wheel drive?
Old 03-19-2006, 11:44 AM
TECH Regular

i love chevy's and well always be a chevy guy.... but.... if i was going to buy a four door sedan with a v8, id have to go with the new dodge charger. i could care less if there four door or not, they look so sweet. you get the 5.7 v8, rear wheel drive, and i beleive you get more horse power too. too me, chevy doesnt have anything to offer these days, atcept the vette but i dont have that kind of money. i just hope that they come out with the new camaro, and perhaps make some rear wheel drive cars.
Old 03-19-2006, 12:00 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by inaccord
You say it isn't a new setup. What other vehicles are v-8, front wheel drive?
Cadillac has had FWD V8's since 1967, and all except the pre 80's were transversly mounted (the 79-85 Eldorado and Seville where still mounted north/south) Oldsmobile had the Toronado, Pontiac had the Bonneville GXP. Ford had the Taurus SHO and Lincoln Continental. Cord had FWD straight 8's and 6's back in the 30's.
Its hardly new tech.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:09 PM
Teching In

This is starting to become a very easy decision.
Old 03-19-2006, 01:57 PM
Teching In

Does anyone know what transmission is in the '06 Impala SS 5.3?

Quick Reply: 2006 Impala SS question