Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 04-29-2016, 01:09 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:

Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Interior Guides
Print Wikipost

Can a weak battery cause stereo problems?

Search this Thread

Old 04-12-2009, 05:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Can a weak battery cause stereo problems?

Before purchasing a new battery, a Diehard Platinum (but I haven't had a chance drive the car since installing it), my stereo would constantly cut-out on me (Alpine head unit and stock everything else). This was with a three year old Diehold Gold that was weak. I was wondering if a weak battery could cause the stereo to cut out, even when the car is running? I had to keep resetting the Alpine's reset button and the stereo would be fine for awhile and then start cutting off.

So can a weak battery cause funky things to happen with stereo? Thanks.
Old 04-14-2009, 05:15 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have ran into this before but the main problem was the alternator not recharging the battery properly. The weakened battery would make the radio not hold the memory (preset stations, audiosettings, etc.). It would also make the DVD not operate properly because the unit was basically reseting itself on startup so booting up the system with the DVD in made it malfunction. My customer thought it was the unit and so did I at first until I figured out the electrical issue was actually causing the problem.
So to answer your question...yes...but generally either the battery is too weak to hold a charge or the alternator is not charging properly.
Old 04-15-2009, 09:37 PM
On The Tree

i have an aftermarket HU and speakers and 400 watt amp and my battery is on its way out. is the sound system at all effected if i go to a battery that is less powerful. say from 910 cranking amp to 875 cranking amps?
Old 04-17-2009, 04:26 PM
TECH Addict

Thanks for the reply KeeAudio. The stereo is now working continuously with the new battery, but something is clearly not right. It's hard to explain but the stereo seems sort of crackly sounding. In fact, before the antenna was up (I have an antenna switch) I operated the power window and I could hear feedback coming through the stereo from the window motor, and the stereo is prone to popping noises. I think the weak battery was a problem, as you said, but I also think I have some other problem I don't have a clue about. Thanks again.
Old 04-23-2009, 04:08 PM
TECH Addict

Just to have closure here, it was the battery, stereo is working perfectly now. Thanks again to KeeAudio! You were on the money.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:29 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just to make sure, if you or a friend has a multimeter you can set it on 12V and test the battery to make sure it is charging by putting the leads on the pos and neg terminals on the battery. I made this mistake in my DD and everything seemed to be working fine when I replaced the battery but didn't test it to make sure the alternator was charging properly. I ended up stranded on the freeway. Make sure you test the new battery to see if the alternator is charging at about 14.XX volts and steady at startup. Mine was charging at about 12, then 11.9, then 11.8, then, 11.7 and kept dropping very slowly so the car ran great and everything worked all evening into the next afternoon. It wasn't until I got into heavy traffic the next day that it crapped out on me and I realized the hard way that it was my alternator that was the problem.
Old 05-02-2009, 11:26 AM
TECH Addict

Thanks again Kee Audio, I'll definitely check my alternator just to be sure. The stock gauge in my car looks good though as far as battery voltage.

I just posted a new thread about crackling popping sound from speakers that comes and goes. When I had my old weak battery the stereo would cut off completely and the speakers would crackle and pop. Anyway, I hope to get some ideas from my new thread on what to look for. Thanks again for your time and expertise.

Quick Reply: Can a weak battery cause stereo problems?