Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Autometer quick wiring question

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2009, 07:02 AM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Default Autometer quick wiring question

Okay so i finished wiring up to put two 2-5/8 sport comp gauges in my dash vents last night. All heat shrunk, beautiful! Well i had smaller ones in my pillar before and the light bulb needs power and ground, well previously i had tapped for ground for the bulb right onto the gauge. Just put the ground to gauge and light all in one connector to plug into the gauge. Did the same for these vent ones.

Well after reading the directions they say to ground the bulb seperately? (DOH) Any reason grounding all together would mess things up? Sometimes i felt my gauges weren't reading accurately but i figured the senders being 3 yrs old had something to do with it.

Thoughts?? Really hoping i don't have to cut everything apart
Old 05-25-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All other components ground to the chassis, some in the same spot for the stock electrical components. There shouldn't be any issue with common grounding.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:55 PM
10 Second Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

i understand the way the gauges work is the sender works off of ground. But its a competely different wire? Don't see how this could interfere.

Anyone else have experience with this? Just want to know for sure before i put my dash and console back together!

Thanks