Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Gauge Cluster Problems

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gauge Cluster Problems

I own a 2000 Trans Am WS6. Here is my issue. When I turn the car on/ drive, none of the gauges work on my cluster except for the MPH. Sometimes, the "air bag" light and/or the "check gauges" light will come on randomly while I am driving for about 10 seconds and go back off again. When this happens, sometimes the gas gauge or RPM gauge or temp gauge, etc. will start working with the lights. There is no pattern to it.

So far, we've checked:
Grounds are ok, gauge cluster didn't go bad (switched it out to check), no sensors unplugged or anything, alternator is good, fuses are fine.

I've been told that the MPH runs on a different wire than all the other gauges on the cluster so it'd make sense that its something with that one part..

any suggestions would be appreciated. I've searched the internet and tech and can't find a thing. Thx!
Old 05-26-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

go to ebay, buy another cluster, if the replacement cluster works then take the 2 clusters to a dealership with your title and they can swap out your miles into the new cluster. Sometimes clusters just go bad, lot of electrical stuff in it.
Old 05-26-2009, 10:36 AM
Teching In

I actually already tried replacing the cluster. that wasn't it .. i knew it wasn't that easy lol
Old 05-28-2009, 12:06 PM
Teching In

I am thinking it may possibly be something with the BCM?
Old 07-24-2009, 09:38 AM
Staging Lane

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

mine did the same thing when i put my motor back in it turned out to be the ground wire on the back side of the passenger side head reach your hand back there and feel around that could possibly be it