Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What Wire to Dim My Autometer?

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2009, 11:49 PM
10 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What Wire to Dim My Autometer?

Before you guys crucify me for not using the all mighty search button, I did and spent about half an hour reading stuff that won't help me.

I have an Autometer digital nitrous pressure gauge. There's a white wire that's supposed to be connected for dimming the display when the lights are turned on. I want to tap into one of the wires for the headlight/parking light switch. Which one do I tap into?
Old 06-03-2009, 03:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 280 Likes on 243 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

That depends - do you need a simple on/off for the dash lights (i.e. bright when the lights are off and dim when they are on)? Or do you need a wire that provides variable power to change the amount of dimming?

The brown wire in the black radio connector provides on/off power - it has 12V when the lights are on, otherwise nothing. The gray wire next to it provides variable voltage from the dash dimmer switch - voltage can vary between 0V (lights off) and 12V (full brightness). The same two wires are also available at the back of the headlight switch (but NOT the dimmer switch) if that's a more convenient location.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
That depends - do you need a simple on/off for the dash lights (i.e. bright when the lights are off and dim when they are on)? Or do you need a wire that provides variable power to change the amount of dimming?

The brown wire in the black radio connector provides on/off power - it has 12V when the lights are on, otherwise nothing. The gray wire next to it provides variable voltage from the dash dimmer switch - voltage can vary between 0V (lights off) and 12V (full brightness). The same two wires are also available at the back of the headlight switch (but NOT the dimmer switch) if that's a more convenient location.
What wire do you want to tap into for power? Also how does one disassemble the dash to get at them?
Old 01-25-2013, 07:09 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Please grill me for resurrecting an old post but I used the search button so which is worse lol.

Anyway, my question is I got these same questions about the dimmer wire for both my gauges and my humount. I'm thinkin the gray wire is best since it can be adjusted but how the eff do I get to it? I took apart my instrument cluster bezel and the bottom panels where the trunk release is but how do I get past the other plastic peice under those panels?

Quick Reply: What Wire to Dim My Autometer?