Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Double din mount

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Double din mount

Well I was trying to leave the ledge in like White Bird suggested. Took the sanding board to thin it down and just touched it and it cracked. 6 hours later, 10 bucks in sheet metal and a $2000.00 tig machine and presto a double din mount for my WS6
Ed

I'm going to put grommets in the holes so it will sit on rubber. Paints drying.
Attached Thumbnails Double din mount-mount-ready-paint.jpg   Double din mount-mount-ready-paint-2.jpg   Double din mount-craacked-ledge.jpg  
Old 06-11-2009, 02:05 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I f***** up my shelf too, so i just remoed it and it gave me extra room. I made a similar mount, but in the end, just the side mounts were needed. Looks good though. What are you doing for your bezel?
Old 06-11-2009, 05:58 AM
TECH Regular

Already filled the grooves in from the back with hairy bondo, should have the radio mounted tonight and starting to grind the bezel.
I built the shelf because I didn't want all that weight on the back, I bent the original metal in that stock pin mount into kind of a spring that pushes up in the back, plus the piece get support across the whole front from the A/C controls.
Did you do you bezel yet?
Ed
Old 06-11-2009, 09:59 AM
Copy & Paste Moderator

Received 187 Likes on 141 Posts

That metal frame looks really nice.

One question though, why were you sanding the plastic shelf? I didn't have to touch it to fit a double-din in my Formula. I trimmed the top part of the opening, as per WhiteBird00's recommendation.

(WhiteBird00 took that picture, but I'm re-hosting it on my domain.)

Here is my write-up:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...installed.html

Last edited by VIP1; 09-04-2011 at 04:26 PM.
Old 06-11-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Regular

Yea I see, I actually met with Whitebird00 and we talked about it. I could have swore I read to file a little bit off of the shelf. I already filed the teeth off you had circled and the unit was too tight. Oh, well only 6 or so hours of my time. Its re-run season anyway.
Duh
ed
Old 06-11-2009, 02:45 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i also trimmed the upper part of my dash, but with that cage sitting in the way it was still scraping so i tried to modify t but it cracked. It was so britlle i couldnt imagine it actually providing support. I took that stock rear mount peice and bent it and made a tab for it to screw into. I took a completely diffferent approach with my bezel. I closed in the air controls so that the whol bezel is one solid peice with the opening for the radio, and 3 cicular openings for the air conditioning controls. IM not done yet but clese, and i have a friend who is going to produce them pretty cheaply. He can 3-d scan it and simply print them from his 3-d printer. Cheap material so it should be pretty cheap to reproduce them. He also has a vacuum molder but we dont know if its necessary to go that route
Old 06-11-2009, 06:15 PM
TECH Regular

Send me a picture when you get it.
Well need to go get busy.
Ed