Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

way to just disable drl and not automatic lights

Old 07-27-2009, 11:01 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default way to just disable drl and not automatic lights

i have searched and looked at stickys. is there a way to just disable drl without effecting the automatic lights? i looked at sticky and i thought if you jummper the sensor it will kill both along with the orange wire. any help would be great. thanks
Old 07-28-2009, 09:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 259 Likes on 223 Posts

First, let me comment that disabling the DRLs because they "don't look cool" is dumb. They are a safety item - both for you and for other drivers on the road. However, since I'm sure nobody will listen to my opinion...

There have been several hacks that people use to disable DRLs. Most of them have unwanted side effects. For example, some suggest unplugging the DRL module. This disables DRLs but also disables the automatic headlights, disables the brake warning light on the dash, and prevents the remote hatch release from working (on M6 cars).

The only way to disable DRLs without any side effects is to bypass the DRL module. The DRL module is a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes mounted to the ductwork behind the radio. It has two connectors - an 8-pin black and an 8-pin blue. In the black connector you will find pairs of blue wires. The light blue with white is the left signal input from the T/S switch and the plain light blue is the DRL & T/S output to the left front light. Similarly, the dark blue with white is input for the right side and the plain dark blue is output to the right front light. You can't just disconnect them because you would lose turn signals. You need to cut (or remove from the connector) those four wires and connect the pairs together - light blue with white to light blue and dark blue with white to dark blue. This will retain the turn signal function and all other functions of the DRL module but eliminate the DRLs themselves.

This same bypass has been proposed by opening the DRL module then cuttting and soldering the traces inside. It achieves the same result but I prefer external, reversible modifications because they are easier to troubleshoot down the road.
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 PM
On The Tree

would i just splice the wires together when taken out of module or would i leave them in the module and splice together. i realize that they are for saftey and agree with the fact they just look dumb. i guess thats not a real mature reason but it is what it is. thanks for the help in advance
Old 07-29-2009, 07:10 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

You need to connect the white stripe wires to the corresponding plain wires - light blue to light blue with white and dark blue to dark blue with white. If you cut the wires near the DRL module, connect the ends that go into the car (just tape up the ends that go into the DRL module so they don't short against anything).

If you pull the pins out of the connector, just connect the wires together. A little bit of solder will hold the connection together. That's my preferred method because you can easily desolder and put the pins back in the connector to go back to stock - no cutting involved.

If you open up the DRL module, you'll have to carefully cut the existing traces on the board where the pins are connected. Then use some solder to add your own traces connecting the corresponding pins as above. Some people like this method because it's hidden but that's exactly why I don't like it. Down the road you may need to trace a problem with the turn signals or some related circuit. Spliced wires will be an obvious indication of the modification but you (or whoever is troubleshooting) might not think to look inside the DRL module.
Old 07-29-2009, 02:23 PM
Staging Lane

If you dont like the way they look have you considered other options? They do make covers for the whole signal light that will just darken the light not totally remove it. You could also use some VHT nightshade to add the same effect.

Not saying dont do waht you want just tossing out some other options for ya.
Old 07-30-2009, 08:51 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
First, let me comment that disabling the DRLs because they "don't look cool" is dumb. They are a safety item - both for you and for other drivers on the road. However, since I'm sure nobody will listen to my opinion...

There have been several hacks that people use to disable DRLs. Most of them have unwanted side effects. For example, some suggest unplugging the DRL module. This disables DRLs but also disables the automatic headlights, disables the brake warning light on the dash, and prevents the remote hatch release from working (on M6 cars).

The only way to disable DRLs without any side effects is to bypass the DRL module. The DRL module is a black box about the size of a pack of cigarettes mounted to the ductwork behind the radio. It has two connectors - an 8-pin black and an 8-pin blue. In the black connector you will find pairs of blue wires. The light blue with white is the left signal input from the T/S switch and the plain light blue is the DRL & T/S output to the left front light. Similarly, the dark blue with white is input for the right side and the plain dark blue is output to the right front light. You can't just disconnect them because you would lose turn signals. You need to cut (or remove from the connector) those four wires and connect the pairs together - light blue with white to light blue and dark blue with white to dark blue. This will retain the turn signal function and all other functions of the DRL module but eliminate the DRLs themselves.

This same bypass has been proposed by opening the DRL module then cuttting and soldering the traces inside. It achieves the same result but I prefer external, reversible modifications because they are easier to troubleshoot down the road.
I simply unplugged mine and my remote hatch still works just fine. I don't like auto lights so them not working is no big deal either...i actually prefer them not on.
Old 07-30-2009, 09:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by 99monguse
I simply unplugged mine and my remote hatch still works just fine.
I should clarify. The hatch release gets disabled on M6 cars when the ignition is on. It's a safety feature that requires the parking brake be engaged when the ignition is on in order to use the remote hatch release. The equivalent on an A4 car is that it must be in park or neutral when the ignition is on. This doesn't affect hatch release use when the ignition is off.

Unplugging the DRL module on an M6 car prevents opening the hatch with the dash switch when the ignition is on.

Originally Posted by 99monguse
I don't like auto lights so them not working is no big deal either...i actually prefer them not on.
The original poster specifically mentioned that he wanted to retain the automatic headlights.

BTW, did you also remove the seat belts because you don't like the way they look?
Old 09-22-2009, 02:13 PM
TECH Fanatic

I am goin to try this!

Saftey issue or not, we get along fine w/o them here in europe

I installed white bulbs to match the xenon headligths,
Old 11-15-2009, 03:23 PM
TECH Enthusiast

WhiteBird00, my man you are a genius!!

I myself also wanted to maintain automatic headlights but just do away with the DRL's. Your write-up worked like a charm. I cut the wires on mine from the black connector instead of pulling them out of the plug. I just knew if i wanted to put them back into stock that I would not remember where they went into the plug.

I also replaced my turn signals with clear units. My bulb sockets from my turn signals was charred from the heat that the lights produced. This way I'm sure to get years of use from my clear turn signals without them being damaged from all the heat.

Thanks again.....
Old 11-20-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Regular

You need to connect the white stripe wires to the corresponding plain wires - light blue to light blue with white and dark blue to dark blue with white. If you cut the wires near the DRL module, connect the ends that go into the car (just tape up the ends that go into the DRL module so they don't short against anything).

If you pull the pins out of the connector, just connect the wires together. A little bit of solder will hold the connection together. That's my preferred method because you can easily desolder and put the pins back in the connector to go back to stock - no cutting involved.

If you open up the DRL module, you'll have to carefully cut the existing traces on the board where the pins are connected. Then use some solder to add your own traces connecting the corresponding pins as above. Some people like this method because it's hidden but that's exactly why I don't like it. Down the road you may need to trace a problem with the turn signals or some related circuit. Spliced wires will be an obvious indication of the modification but you (or whoever is troubleshooting) might not think to look inside the DRL module.
hate to revive this, but you seem to know what your talking about so maybe you can answer my question. i assume this will delete hte DRL's at all times. is there a way to only turn them off when the head lights are not on?
Old 11-20-2011, 05:32 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Numba20
hate to revive this, but you seem to know what your talking about so maybe you can answer my question. i assume this will delete hte DRL's at all times. is there a way to only turn them off when the head lights are not on?
The modification only prevents the bright filament of the dual filament bulbs from working except during turn signal use. The dim filament (parking lights) will still go on when the headlights are on.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:25 PM
TECH Regular

The modification only prevents the bright filament of the dual filament bulbs from working except during turn signal use. The dim filament (parking lights) will still go on when the headlights are on.
so basically....

lights off = no DRL's just turns
lights on = DRL's +turns

ABOVE ^^^^= EXACTLY WHAT I WANTED! sweet! thanks!
Old 12-16-2011, 01:28 PM
Teching In

Our cars have auto headlights?

Is that a Camaro only function?
Old 12-16-2011, 02:08 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Yes, all Camaros and Canadian model Firebirds.
Old 12-17-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

http://xse.com/leres/ss/drl.html
Old 06-18-2012, 12:43 PM
On The Tree

i followed this, and could not get the turn signals to work. i was doing this because my lights didnt work to start with...
Old 06-18-2012, 12:50 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Originally Posted by Zombiesoldier
i followed this, and could not get the turn signals to work. i was doing this because my lights didnt work to start with...
This procedure isn't designed to fix existing problems. It just modifies the circuit so that the DRLs are eliminated while keeping turn signals.

What are your symptoms? Does one side work but not the other? Do the lights come on but not flash? Do all the lights work when you put on the hazard flashers and walk around to check each bulb?
Old 06-18-2012, 01:40 PM
On The Tree

no drl's, no turn signals up front at all, no 4 ways up front at all
Old 06-18-2012, 01:45 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Do the parking lights work when the headlights are on? You could have burned out bulbs (there's two different filaments in each bulb) or it's more likely that the sockets are hopelessly corroded. Socket corrosion is a common problem because the heat from the DRLs can cause the lens to crack and then water gets in and pools in the sockets.

Replacement sockets are about $10 at auto parts stores and amazon.com.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:40 PM
On The Tree

I just looked an it has replacement sockets already.

Btw is it normal for the headlights to open when you try to just put on the markers?

Last edited by WhiteBird00; 06-19-2012 at 06:40 AM. Reason: Merge consecutive posts

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: way to just disable drl and not automatic lights