Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Midbass in rear sail panels

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2009, 10:22 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Midbass in rear sail panels

I'm about to have an extra punch amp when I take it out of my truck since I'm about to trade it in and I am thinking about adding something to my sail panels to fill in between my boston pro components (front), coaxes (rear), and my solo baric 15" sub since there is a noticeable gap between the mid bass and what the sub can play.

What would you guys recommend? I've been out of the audio game for a while now (haven't really messed with it in about 8-10 yrs), I used to really like focals in a sealed enclosure - What is good these days that I could put back there?

Thanks
Old 08-05-2009, 10:25 AM
Teching In

And as far as price goes, I'm more just looking for the best bang for the buck with the best/cleanest sound. Ex: If something will sound noticeably better, then I would probably like to spend the extra money. If it would sound only 5% better but cost twice as much, then its not worth it to me as I don't put systems together to compete with or anything like that anymore, but I do want something good that will sound good and last a long time.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:00 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you're bringing your own amp then I highly recommend Peerless SLS.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:19 AM
Teching In

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm still kinda up in the air about what I would like to do. Another thought I'm having is replacing the mids if there is something better out there that I can put in a free air stock location that would sound similar to the focal 3 way components I had in the sealed kick panels of my old truck.

I know I certainly don't want to do the kick panels in the car and don't have room for 3 ways in the door, so just kinda open for some suggestions in general right now.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

bazooka and kicker make 6.5s.
Old 08-06-2009, 10:55 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Flaring Afro
bazooka and kicker make 6.5s.
So do Pyramid and Pyle and what other crap do you want to talk about?
Old 08-06-2009, 11:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

^ i've never heard them, but im pretty sure if bazookas were so bad ian wouldnt carry them. also people on here have been happy with them. he has a 15 so its not like he needs anything super deep or amazing.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:16 AM
TECH Addict

Bazooka is total s*** on the same level as Pyramid and Pyle. Ian carries them so he can offer something to customers that think they can get good sound for the cost of a breakfast sandwich.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Just looked at what focal has now and I could either throw some 6.5" mids back there and I just noticed focal has a 5" sub. Might be interested in that as well...

I need to take the panel off and see how much room I have to work with in there. I doubt there is much depth to work with...
Old 08-06-2009, 03:17 PM
TECH Addict

Don't bother going smaller. There's not a ton of room to work with, no.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:32 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

get some jl audio 6w0, they sound really clean and you can get a pair for about $100-120. I have them on my car and it sounds clean. I thought about kicker but they've let me down before in the past. I rather spend the extra coin and get something good then buying something cheap and having to spend money again. IMO.
Old 08-06-2009, 03:35 PM
TECH Addict

Peerless is an extremely well known and respected brand and the SLS is a very good speaker. It's not a subwoofer but it's easy to fit, not expensive and does have good Xmax of 8.5mm in the 6.5" version.

If the SLS disappoints, then anything else in the sail panels will disappoint and a real subwoofer is necessary.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:50 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by dragonrage
Peerless is an extremely well known and respected brand and the SLS is a very good speaker. It's not a subwoofer but it's easy to fit, not expensive and does have good Xmax of 8.5mm in the 6.5" version.

If the SLS disappoints, then anything else in the sail panels will disappoint and a real subwoofer is necessary.
would you recommend the peerless sls in the sails with a stock monsoon amp or would that be a waste of time?
Old 08-06-2009, 10:01 PM
TECH Addict

I would not recommend them very much for that application because they are single voice coil 4 ohm
Old 08-06-2009, 10:56 PM
On The Tree

I would not recommend them very much for that application because they are single voice coil 4 ohm
So if replacing the midbass with aftermarket midbass they need to be dual voice coil 4ohm? Is that 4 ohm per voice coil (total of 8) or just 4 ohm total and run in parallel? btw my car is a camaro which has the svc midbass stock as I know the firebird has the dvc and I thought that the firebird needed the dvc but not the camaro?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:46 AM
TECH Addict

Camaro speakers are 2 ohms though. You won't be getting all of what the Monsoon amp can put out, which isn't all that much to begin with.
Old 08-07-2009, 09:27 AM
On The Tree

Camaro speakers are 2 ohms though. You won't be getting all of what the Monsoon amp can put out, which isn't all that much to begin with.
I know but isn't there a way to wire an svc or dvc to take advantage of what the monsoon amp can put out in a camaro or is that only on the firebird?

If I was going to replace the midbass in a camaro would I want an svc or dvc to get the most out of the amp or would it not matter?
Old 08-07-2009, 09:35 AM
TECH Addict

Well, honestly, it's the sensitivity that matters, but it's much easier to just say that 2-ohm SVC, 1-ohm DVC and 4-ohm DVC drivers can all make the most of the Monsoon amp in the Camaro.

Quick Reply: Midbass in rear sail panels