Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Radio is possesed

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2009, 11:55 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Radio is possesed

I have the stock monsoon system, no cd changer and lately the radio will randomly switch to the cd player and try to load a cd (although at the moment I don't have a cd in the cd player) then drop back to the radio. The other night it was so frustrating I simply turned the radio off ... and then it turned itself back on, tried to spin up a cd and dropped to the radio.

Simple issue to fix, or simpler to replace the beast with an aftermarket model (with an mp3 input)?
Old 09-02-2009, 12:07 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my opinion you have 2 viable options, get another stock radio to replace the one you have or go aftermarket and get better sound, more multimedia input options, etc.
I know alot of guys prefer to keep the stock look which is completely understandable with the potential collectability of these cars but the stock Delco unit is not very good to say it nicely. A multitude of issues always seem to come up with them from the display lights going out, codes popping up and of course the internal electrical gremlins like what your experiencing.
Cheapest option is to replace with a used stock radio from another Camaro. Even an inexpensive aftermarket though, will have better overall sound though and most have usb or aux inputs for MP3/iPod players or usb stick for an endless playlist of your favorite music. These are installed with a harness and antenna adapter so if you ever wanted to put a stock radio back in you can because the harness is untouched. You just plug the adapters into it.