Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

CDT Premium Install Questions

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 07:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default CDT Premium Install Questions

Just got the premium setup from Kee Audio today. I will be installing them this weekend. I have a couple of questions though before I start tearing up my car.

I have the hatch panels out and the speakers are just resting in the slots right now in my living room. The holes built that are in the speaker do not line up with the holes in the panel from the car. What did everyone do for this? Also, did you guys just put a small bolt and but in there since the old ones were riveted on?

Second question. For the crossover box for the door speakers,where did you mount it? I've read that some people put it in the kick panel, near the stock amp, or under the dash. So are you guys just running separate speaker wire? I'm lost on what to do for the door speakers.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-18-2009, 08:20 PM
TECH Resident

Just use a couple screws with nuts for the hatch speakers. THey're light. Doesn't take much to hold them in there.

Put the crossover back in the box. You don't use them. Cut off the factory plug from the factory speakers and use it.

Check my post a couple down. or click link. See photos
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tall-pics.html
Old 09-19-2009, 07:38 AM
On The Tree

In your picture do you have the tweeter wires wired into the stock harness as well? I picked up some GM harnesses from Best Buy that should make the install a lot easier just need to figure out how to include the tweeter wire in with the speaker wire.

Thanks for the help.
Old 09-19-2009, 08:57 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 274 Likes on 238 Posts

The tweeters and mids in the doors have separate wires from the Monsoon amp (they're on separate channels) so there will be four wires in each door. Just connect the factory tweeter wires to the CDT tweeter and the mid wires to the CDT mid. The signal filtering is already built in.
Old 09-19-2009, 09:55 AM

Keep us posted. Pic's if you can. I just ordered mine and will be installing them as soon as they come in.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:06 PM
On The Tree

I have the old speakers out of the door and am installing the new ones now. Does anyone know which tweeter wire is positive? One wire is solid gray and the other is gray with a white tracer. Which one is positive?
Old 09-20-2009, 02:53 PM
TECH Resident

I've always assumed the one with the white stripe is negative, and solid is positive.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:02 AM
On The Tree

You can check the positive and negative wires by connecting them to a D-battery. Confirm that all the speakers are in phase. (cone moves out on all of them, or in on all of them)
Old 09-23-2009, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

Got the speakers installed Sunday afternoon. Sound 100 times better than stock. Especially since mine were blown.

Front speakers I didn't have a problem installing. I hated taking my door panel apart but got it back together and you can't even tell I touched it.
(Forgot to grab pictures)

Sail Panel speakers were easy. Being able to just pop off the speaker grill made it a lot easier.

The hatch speaker holes didn't align properly with the ones stock in the hatch. I took the panel out, put the speaker in the hatch and marked where the holes needed to be. Then I drilled them out and put 3 small bolts and nuts on them to hold them in place.

All in all CDT speakers are vast improvement over the stock speakers. I can't wait to get these puppies amped and get a 10" stealth box in there.

Thanks Ian for all the help! I look forward to working with you in the future.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:41 AM
TECH Resident

Nice job. You're going to want that 4th screw put in the sail speakers. Hole probably didn't line up. That's how mine were too. Tried it without. Got vibration. Drill a hole if you have to and put in a 4th screw. Hatch speakers look just about like how I did mine. Only problem with mine is someone at some point put in some 4Xsomething speakers and broke off some of the plastic in there to make them fit.
Old 09-24-2009, 06:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

nice job bro.
Old 09-24-2009, 09:54 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 2k2cam
Got the speakers installed Sunday afternoon. Sound 100 times better than stock. Especially since mine were blown.

Front speakers I didn't have a problem installing. I hated taking my door panel apart but got it back together and you can't even tell I touched it.
(Forgot to grab pictures)

Sail Panel speakers were easy. Being able to just pop off the speaker grill made it a lot easier.

The hatch speaker holes didn't align properly with the ones stock in the hatch. I took the panel out, put the speaker in the hatch and marked where the holes needed to be. Then I drilled them out and put 3 small bolts and nuts on them to hold them in place.

All in all CDT speakers are vast improvement over the stock speakers. I can't wait to get these puppies amped and get a 10" stealth box in there.

Thanks Ian for all the help! I look forward to working with you in the future.
WOW!! Looks great! Glad you liked the system! If you don't mind I will post these on the website as well. I have to update some pics anyway.
Old 09-24-2009, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by LS14EVR
Nice job. You're going to want that 4th screw put in the sail speakers. Hole probably didn't line up. That's how mine were too. Tried it without. Got vibration. Drill a hole if you have to and put in a 4th screw. Hatch speakers look just about like how I did mine. Only problem with mine is someone at some point put in some 4Xsomething speakers and broke off some of the plastic in there to make them fit.
I have it in now. Just snapped a quick picture before the camera died. Subs sound great!
Originally Posted by Engine_HP
nice job bro.
Thanks!
Originally Posted by KEE AUDIO
WOW!! Looks great! Glad you liked the system! If you don't mind I will post these on the website as well. I have to update some pics anyway.
Feel free to take them Ian. I can get more if you need me too. I might be going back into the door soon to do something else so if you'd like some pictures of the door speakers just let me know.
Old 09-25-2009, 07:20 PM

What was the answer to you question about what wire is positive & negative?

I hope my speakers come in this weekend so I can install them.