Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon speaker replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 09:21 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Monsoon speaker replacement

Well after reading thread after thread I cant find the answer im looking for. My sail speakers were already pulled out of my car when I bought it, instead of buying replacements im going with the Subthump 2 12" box and put my Kicker L7's in. Now my question is what are some replacement component speakers that can go in place of the factory subs. I dont want to overpower that sound area, I plan to keep the factory deck for the time being and add a Ipod interface to it. Later down the road I will be changing to a double din nav unit but for now I just want to improve the sound and will also replace the factory speakers.
Old 09-25-2009, 09:41 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My understanding is that since those were subs in the sail panel from the factory, the signal is already crossed over for low frequencies, therefore you can't just wire full range speakers in there. I think most people run the wires up form the hatch speakers. Once you do that any 6.5" should work
Old 09-25-2009, 11:19 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

with knowing this now and while im upgrading the factory system I might as well just retain the 6.5in subs for midrange. Thanks for the help!
Old 09-27-2009, 10:13 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

camaro geek is right, the sails are crossed over to only put out low frequencies. Check out the Elemental Design 6.5" subs. There's a sticky in the FAQ about how to install them