Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Trans Am power antenna...Quick answer pls

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 11:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thumbs up Trans Am power antenna...Quick answer pls

With the stock monsoon CD player, did the power antenna only go up when the radio was on rather than always up while the cd player is "turned on". Like say your playing a CD, you dont need the antenna up. Just wondering, because I have a cheap after market radio and I was gonna hook up my power antenna but it makes the power antnna go up when the cd player has power rather then only when I'm listening to the radio, so because of this I said the hell with the power antenna since I mostly listen to CD's
Old 04-02-2010, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

on mine the antenna was always up when the radio had power even when listening to a cd.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most newer aftermarket stereos have separate leads for remote amp turn on and power antenna. The remote amp lead has voltage whenever the head unit is on. The power antenna lead only has voltage when the radio is on.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

I put a switch in my glove box to control it. Going to shave it off when I get it painted.
Old 04-02-2010, 12:53 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could always mount a windshield antenna, just in case you wanted to use the radio once in a while.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=win...d=p3286.c0.m19
Old 04-02-2010, 02:09 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 261 Likes on 225 Posts

Originally Posted by ROCNDAV
Most newer aftermarket stereos have separate leads for remote amp turn on and power antenna.
True.

The remote amp lead has voltage whenever the head unit is on.
True.

The power antenna lead only has voltage when the radio is on.
Not always. There is no standard for this so some manufacturers leave the antenna up all the time, some put it up or down depending on music source, and several allow the user to configure it whichever way they prefer through an options menu selection.
Old 04-04-2010, 02:54 AM
myk
TECH Fanatic

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

You could always mount a windshield antenna, just in case you wanted to use the radio once in a while.

http://shop.ebay.com/i.html?_nkw=win...d=p3286.c0.m19
Now I'd love to get something like that but how does it perform? I've gotta have both AM and FM stations come through as well as they do now with the stock power antenna. I HATE antennas; hate them hate them hate them. And although the unit in my T/A is new, we all know it's a matter of time before it craps out and I'll have to buy another rip-off-priced unit to replace it...

Quick Reply: Trans Am power antenna...Quick answer pls