Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't
Old 05-20-2016, 01:07 PM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
See related guides and technical advice from our community experts:Browse all: Chevrolet Camaro or Pontiac Firebird Lighting Guides
Print Wikipost

turn signal/brake light problem: only one side..

Search this Thread

Old 11-27-2014, 01:57 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

Firebird taillights have three bulbs in the red section and one bulb in the white section (backup lights). All three of the bulbs in the red section light up dimly with the parking lights and/or headlights. Only the two inner bulbs are dual filament so they brighten with the brakes or turn signals... the outboard one on each side is single filament and is unaffected by the brake lights or turn signals. Are those what you mean by marker lights? If so, the fact that they don't do anything different with brakes or turn signals is normal operation. Similarly, if you were referring to the actual marker lights in the side of the rear bumper, they aren't designed to flash either - they just light up with the rest of the lights.

I'm not sure I'm clear on your symptoms. Are all the tail lights off (dark) regardless of whether any other lights are on? Only the brake lights or turn signals make them light up? Do the side marker lights in the bumper work? If so, it would appear that you have a break somewhere in the taillight power wire between the lights and where the side marker lights come off the main taillight harness. The side markers working is a big clue - it eliminates the possibility of a blown fuse or a break in the wire somewhere closer to the front of the car. The fact that the turn signals and brake lights work eliminates the possibility of a bad ground because they all share the same ground.
Old 03-09-2016, 02:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default driver brake light quits working when i turn headlights on 97 silver ado???

i really need to figure out why my brake light quit workin. took the bed off my truck to try and fix fuel gauge bc it quits working after a half tank but when i took bed off truck i had to disconnect harness. now the brake lights work but when i turn my headlights on. the driver side brake light does not work anymore??? passenger does. I've checked the bulbs and replaced the boards in tail lights and checked all wires to see if they are cut but everything looks normal… does anyone have any idea on what to do to fix the problem? my buddy has the same problem on his escalade and gets pulled over all the time and i cant afford to get pulled over.. PLEASE HELP!!!!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:58 PM
Teching In

ok lets see if yall can help with this. my left turn signal is fine. but my right one thats another story. if i turn on my right turn signal my dash lights blink, and so does every exterior light on the car, if i turn my running lights on and then try to use right signal the indicator for right signal stays lit solid light. and if i hit my brake pedal my dash light come on but the dim. i was cheching and tracing wires when i found my fog lights blink to but when i remover the relay and checked power and grounds the yellow i assume is a ground and is getting power when my right turn signal is turned on. any ideas? also if i press my brake pedal my dash lights come on but there dim. ?? any ideas guys im almost ready to replace the entire harness
Old 05-12-2016, 04:30 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

I suspect you will find that one or both of your front lamp harness grounds are no good so power is back-feeding between the parking light and turn signal systems. Use a test light or multimeter to check that you have a good ground on the black wire of the right front light socket. The ground for that lamp is a bolt on the right side of the upper radiator support. Assuming the ground is broken, fixing it is a simple job of replacing the black wire between the socket and a good chassis ground.

No, the yellow wire is not ground for the fog light relay. It is power from the fog light switch for the coil side of the fog light relay. The relay coil grounds through the light green wire to the high beam circuit - that's why the fog lights go off when you use high beams. If my guess is correct, you leave your fog light switch in the on position and back-feed through the parking light circuit (which powers the fog lights) is showing up on the yellow wire at the relay. In other words, the bad ground that is causing your odd turn signal symptoms is also causing power to be present where it shouldn't.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:15 AM
Teching In

thanks bud ill check that out and let u kno. and i just found a diagram that showed me that the yellow was a power. thanks for the response bud appreciate it. ill post wat i find
Old 03-10-2018, 08:26 AM

Default Different issue

Okay guys so I had the same burnt/rusted front turn ignals as everyone else. I'm going to long term fix so I switched to led (less heat won't crack out housing) issue is right turn signal works great after switching to electronic flasher but left turn signal cause the fog lights and head lights to flash also any ideas would be appreciated
Old 03-10-2018, 03:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory Piepenbrink
Okay guys so I had the same burnt/rusted front turn ignals as everyone else. I'm going to long term fix so I switched to led (less heat won't crack out housing) issue is right turn signal works great after switching to electronic flasher but left turn signal cause the fog lights and head lights to flash also any ideas would be appreciated
Which flasher did you get? Are you using LED's in the rear tails as well?
Old 03-10-2018, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Guz
Which flasher did you get? Are you using LED's in the rear tails as well?
EL552 stated good for led's and yes Led's in both rears now turn signals won't work at all hazards work great both side but turn signals just show a very dim arrow on the dash and nothing outside the car...I'm beginnng to think the switch is bad (on the column) but I'm out of ideas
Old 03-11-2018, 03:47 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Gregory Piepenbrink
EL552 stated good for led's and yes Led's in both rears now turn signals won't work at all hazards work great both side but turn signals just show a very dim arrow on the dash and nothing outside the car...I'm beginnng to think the switch is bad (on the column) but I'm out of ideas
I am not sure about that flasher module but I am using this one and I have no issues with running LEDs in the front and rear turn signals.

Amazon Amazon

Are you using LEDs in the gauge cluster for the turn signals? If so that can also cause issues.
Old 03-13-2018, 11:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If the turn signal is causing your fogs and headlights to flash then you've got bigger issues. They are different circuits but they may share a ground (I don't remember). If that ground is sketchy you'll start backfeeding other circuits.
Old 03-13-2018, 12:12 PM
Ungrounded Moderator

SparkyJJO is correct... there is no connection between the turn signal circuit and the fog lights or headlights except for the ground. The lights on each side have their ground on the top of the radiator support.

Quick Reply: turn signal/brake light problem: only one side..