Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering wheel/radio control swap/SWI-JACK & KENWOOD HU (Installation and Programming

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2010, 09:23 PM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Steering wheel/radio control swap/SWI-JACK & KENWOOD HU (Installation and Programming

Anyone who has installed a KENWOOD and SWI-JACK please jump in or if you have knowledgeable info of the wiring for the steering wheel radio controls.

I just installed a late (99 and up) steering column and steering wheel with radio controls in my 98 Camaro. I do not have the harness that connects to the column and goes to the radio. The wires coming out of the column for the steering wheel radio controls are as follows: YELLOW, GREEN, GRAY, and BLACK/WHITE.

My aftermarket HU is a Kenwood Excelon KDC-X791.

Ok, First the installation of the SWI-JACK. Obviously the red goes to switched power and the black goes to ground. The next wire used coming from the SWI JACK interface is the GREEN WIRE. Now typically this GREEN WIRE would get hooked into the harness that would typically connect to the factory radio. I do not have this harness!! As stated above, I only have the harness that is part of the steering column. Again, those wires are YELLOW, GREEN, GRAY, and BLACK/WHITE. If I had the harness that would connect to this, there would be a BLUE wire. Which one of the YELLOW, GREEN, GRAY, and BLACK/WHITE wires is connected to this BLUE wire of the facory radio harness?

The last (2) pieces coming from the SWI-JACK is the 1/8" headphone style jack and a BLUE/YELLOW wire. Do both of these connect the the back of my HU or just one? Should there be a remote wire on the back of my HU?

Now, for the second to last issue. I need to program this thing. What (Steering Wheel Interface Programming Guide) do I use. I see they have a couple listed that could possibly be for my vehicle. Do I use the guide that is for 1992-2002 Chevrolet or 2000 to 2005 Chevrolet? Where are they coming up with this 21 pin connector?

Next and lastly would be the sequence of programming.
they list the following:
1) volume up
2) volume down
3) mute
4) source
5) seek up
6) track up
7) track down
8) disc up/fm
9) disc down/am

Now, some of these are features that my STEERING WHEEL DOES NOT HAVE. WTF!

My steering wheel has the following buttons:
1) seek up
2) seek down
3) preset
4) am/fm
5) volume up
6) volume down
7) play
8) mute.

How do I program it for my wheel?

I know, I know, HOLY ****, how could I be this dumb. Please add any valuable info you may have.
Thanks
Brandon
Old 08-28-2010, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

I just found this wiring diagram while doing a search. It appears that all of the wires coming out of the steering column will need to be hooked up as they power the switches and the lights for the switches. I guess I need help with this as well. Should I just try and find the rest of the harness? Even if I do find someone with this harness, I still need to know how to hook it up.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/attachmen...ram-515130.gif
Old 08-29-2010, 07:45 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 262 Likes on 226 Posts

You are talking about two completely separate harness locations. The SWI-JACK connects to the harness that plugs into the back of the factory radio. It is a 21-pin connector although in f-bodies it is actually two connectors (white and black) that are pinned together so they act as one. The following text from another thread on the subject assumes you are using an adapter harness to install your aftermarket radio (rather than butchering the factory harness).

The connections are as follows:
There are a lot of wires but most of them are used for setting options for different makes of vehicles. The red wire goes to switched power (connect it to the red wire in the stereo adapter harness). The black wire goes to ground (connect it to the black wire in the stereo adapter harness). The green wire goes to the dark blue wire in the factory stereo harness (there is no equivalent wire in the harness adapter). Finally, the light blue/yellow wire on the opposite end (beside the 1/8" plug wire) connects to the corresponding light blue/yellow wire in the stereo adapter harness. You can ignore all the other wires.
The 1/8" plug is not used on Kenwood systems - it is there for the other brands that the SWI-JACK supports.

Your steering wheel control harness appears to have the wrong wire colors. As you can see in the wiring diagram, you should have yellow (ignition switched power), gray with black (illumination power), black (ground), and dark blue (switch output). The dark blue wire would connect to the corresponding dark blue in the radio harness. You may have to do some investigating with a multimeter to find which wire is which in your column.

Programming is for 92-02 Chevrolet, the newer (00-05) version includes HVAC controls. You can ignore the functions that your wheel doesn't have.
Old 08-29-2010, 08:38 AM
11 Second Club

OK, I did some more searching last night and I found a thread (that I was already subscribed to,haha) and it explains the wires colors and function.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...o-install.html

There are four wires in the male side of the harness from the column;
1.) A gray one that is for illumination.
2.) A yellow one that is for power.
3.) A black w/ gray stripe one that is for ground.
4.) A bluish-green one that is for the radio control.

On the female side the wires are as follows (from the radio);
1.) A gray w/ black stripe one that is for illumination.
2.) A yellow one that is for power.
3.) A black one that is for ground.
4.) A dark blue one that is for the radio control.

I know now what I need to do to complete the harness.

Thanks TechCam97 !!
Old 08-29-2010, 08:48 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Programming is for 92-02 Chevrolet, the newer (00-05) version includes HVAC controls. You can ignore the functions that your wheel doesn't have.
Look at what I posted again.
Originally Posted by 9t8z28

Next and lastly would be the sequence of programming.
they list the following:
1) volume up
2) volume down
3) mute
4) source
5) seek up
6) track up
7) track down
8) disc up/fm
9) disc down/am

Now, some of these are features that my STEERING WHEEL DOES NOT HAVE. WTF!

My steering wheel has the following buttons:
1) seek up
2) seek down
3) preset
4) am/fm
5) volume up
6) volume down
7) play
8) mute.

How do I program it for my wheel?
If I ignored what I didn't have, then I would have no seek down as its not listed, and a number of other functions that don't match?
Old 08-29-2010, 10:54 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

u can program any function to any function, hell u can make the volume button the source button etc. try programming track up and down as seek up and down

Quick Reply: Steering wheel/radio control swap/SWI-JACK & KENWOOD HU (Installation and Programming