Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Electrical help

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical help

I am posting this in 2 sections in hopes of getting more views. I started my car this weekend and took it for the first drive after the D1SC install. The car fired with no issues and i drove it around for probably 30min. When i came home i pulled in the drive-way and shut it off. A little while longer i went to go move the car and when backing up i killed it ( not used to new clutch). When i turned the key to start it back up i heard a small click and everything electrical went out. I checked and there was only 3 volts at the battery. So i unhooked everything from the battery and the battery has 13volts. So i then unhooked the power wire going to the alternator and to the starter with no luck, still 3 volts. When i unhooked the power at the underhood fuse boxes the voltage went back up to 13. So i then started unplugging fuses and relays at the boxes to figure out whats going on (i am assuming there is a short in something somewhere). When i pulled the 3rd 50 amp fuse down from the power post on the fuse block next to the fender well the voltage jumped back up to 13. Plug the fuse back in and it drops again. The problem is the cover for my fuse blocks are basically unreadable. So first off can someone please let me know what that fuse is for? Second does anyone have any clue what could be causing the draw that has something to do with that circuit? Any help would be great, because i am at a loss currently.

Thanks
Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Here are the two junction blocks:

Which one has the fuse you removed?
Old 09-07-2010, 02:49 PM
Launching!

It is the one labeled H/L DR - HORN. What all does this fuse serve? Also there is a fusible link that is also connected to the other fuse box. The terminal that goes to 2 fusible links has like 1 volt on it even though i have it disconnected from the fuse block. I wouldnt think it should have power unless it is bleeding in from somewhere else. IDEAS??
Old 09-07-2010, 03:38 PM
Launching!

OK well im not sure what it was but i unplugged both connectors going to the Head Lamp Door Control module and that fixed part of the problem. I plugged them back up and the fuse is no longer causing the voltage to drop.

NOW!!!!! if the fusible links are hooked up i still have a drain on voltage. What exactly do the 3 fusible links cover? Where can i start looking, or what can i unhook to chase this problem?
Old 09-08-2010, 02:25 PM
Launching!

someone has to know what the fusible links at the engine relay/fuse panels are for? Come on guys help me out!!!!
Old 09-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Launching!

Well i got the car running, i ended up taking off every ground wire that i could find and sanding down the contact, the bolt, and the area the ground went to. SO the voltage issue is fixed, HOWEVER

I now have an ABS and TCS light. Also my TCS switch isnt lighting up. IDEAS?