Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

What speakers to go with when keeping the factory head unit and amp?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What speakers to go with when keeping the factory head unit and amp?

I have at least one blown speaker possibly more in my T/A. I am planning on keeping the stock head unit and amp for now but will upgrade both in the future. Anyone have any good experience with direct replacement speakers that sound good and have good bass. I am thinking of going with Memphis audio since the local system shop has them in stock. I am also thinking of going with midbass woofers in the sail panels to help with the bass aspect. It should only get better when I change amps. What does everyone recommend?
Old 09-14-2010, 11:22 PM
Staging Lane

if you haven't read the sticky you should do that first, then check out keeaudio.com, i replaced my sail panel speakers with his bazooka DVCs, they're not out of this world or anything but they sound pretty good. i'm happy with them so far and he's great to do business with. i heard some memphis 6.5 inch components at a local place and i thought they sounded great for the price ($125) most people on here love their CDT replacement stuff, but i've never actually heard them, good luck.... idk if all TAs have the monsoon system so make sure you know what you need, best advice i have is do plenty of research before spending your hard earned cash
Old 09-15-2010, 05:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I read the sticky but just trying to get some opinions from people who have changed them out. My T/A has 4 ohm speakers in the sail panels. I will look into key Audio
Old 09-15-2010, 07:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

3 thumbs up for CDT speakers from Kee audio.

Work great with stock everything.
Old 09-15-2010, 08:30 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by eseibel67
3 thumbs up for CDT speakers from Kee audio.

Work great with stock everything.
Hows the bass with that set up?
Old 09-16-2010, 11:56 AM
TECH Regular

most of the bass comes from the sail panels in that setup, but the bass should be somewhat improved. I have the Bazookas in my Firebird sail panels, and it is much better over stock.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:52 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just bought the premium package from Kee Audio. I have never used/heard CDT speakers but hopefully I wont be disapointed
Old 09-19-2010, 10:09 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am in the same boat , any thoughts of upgrades for the door speakers ?

Edit : the coaxial cdt speakers , are they easy to install ?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:04 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by jaysan
I am in the same boat , any thoughts of upgrades for the door speakers ?

Edit : the coaxial cdt speakers , are they easy to install ?
If you have a TA then your door speakers are component not coaxial. I have my CDT component here waiting to be installed. From what I have read on this site everyone loves them. I also have the bazookas installed right now and they do sound good. Contact Ian at keeaudio.com his packages are based solely on the F-bodies so you can't go wrong.
Old 09-19-2010, 11:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

I just heard from a few people that the premium package isnt the way to go with the factory head unit and amp. I am going to try and change my order to the package with the bazooka sail speaker and try and upgrade from the JVC 4inch to the CDT 4 inch for the rear
Old 09-19-2010, 12:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you have a good sail panel speaker left from conversion I could use one.
Old 09-19-2010, 06:45 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I do have one that is almost brand new, had it in there for a week
Old 09-19-2010, 09:46 PM
Staging Lane

The bazookas are for the trans am not the camaro. The camaro only have a single voice coil speaker the trans am had dual voice coil. So if using all factory wiring and head unit the bazookas won't be plug and play you will have two jump the voice coils to get a 2ohm load on them. Google wiring dvc subwoofers for the wiring diagrams.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:23 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Originally Posted by blackram_air
If you have a TA then your door speakers are component not coaxial.
Both Camaros and Firebirds have components in the doors. The difference is that Firebirds have the tweeter mounted separately while Camaros have the tweeters mounted in the middle of the mid much like a coaxial (but they're still separate components).

Originally Posted by blackram_air
The bazookas are for the trans am not the camaro. The camaro only have a single voice coil speaker the trans am had dual voice coil. So if using all factory wiring and head unit the bazookas won't be plug and play you will have two jump the voice coils to get a 2ohm load on them. Google wiring dvc subwoofers for the wiring diagrams.
The Bazookas are popular because they are a good fit for both Firebird and Camaro sail panels. Firebirds have dual voice coil 4-ohm subs so they match the Bazookas exactly. Camaros have 2-ohm single voice coil subs so it's a simple matter of wiring the two voice coils in parallel to produce the 2-ohm total impedance. You can still cut the OEM connector off the factory speakers and solder it to your new parallel connection so that the speaker plugs into the factory harness.
Old 09-23-2010, 01:31 PM
Launching!

So Bazooka 6.5" or CDT 6.5" for the sails? and if the CDT, then which model (misbass) would be recommended since theres 4 slightly different models? using the stock monsoon HU and amp.

Or any other suggestions besides bazooka or CDT? car is an '01 trans am

Last edited by nichoLaS1; 09-23-2010 at 02:28 PM.
Old 09-23-2010, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I just recived my Bazooka 6.5's today from Kee Audio, just waiting for the CDT speakers to get here and I will install them this weekend and let you know how it sounds together. I went with the Bazookas because they are DVC and should be a great uprgrade for the sail panel speakers.