Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Any F-body owners have this problem?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Any F-body owners have this problem?

Well since ive bought my car my lumbar/rear defrost fuse has been pulled. Finally tried to put a new one in and found that slot was slightly heat deformed and then remembered that under the pass side seat the lumbar harness is disconnected. SO I looked at the harness and the power wire is completely burnt up.

That is question one, anyone else have this problem?

Second question is there anywhere I can download a chiltons or haynes manual for my car so that I can single out the defrost circuit and get them working again (recently moved up north) and not have to power up the lumbar again.

It bothers me that my car has features I cant use but atleast I can live without lumbar, or have the manual to look at the circuit and see where it failed and make a repair to it.
Old 09-18-2010, 03:51 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Someone put a fuse that was too high of an amperage for that source and it didnt kick off, they have breaker fuses there for a reason. Replace the burned up stuff, put a new breaker fuse in it and it should be fine. YES, the breaker fuse is a huge winter issue. I would always kick the breaker off with my rear defogger on in winter when i went to adjust my seat
Old 09-18-2010, 04:02 PM
TECH Resident

Well its a 30amp and I dont think they make ATC fuses larger then that, altho they could have hard wired it with a paper clip or wire. But there is a breaker fuse? (silver square guy) that is wired in (25a) that is jammed in next to the fuse block but I dont officially know if it goes to that as the defroster doesnt work. So far on the bright side its the only hacked thing I found on the car in the year ive owned it.

But I would like to be able to get my hands on a service manual so I can check out the wiring harness and see where it is installed to.

Edit I just saw you said when you went to move your seat, is the power seat circuit combined with the lumbar? Because my power seat still works just fine just no lumbar.
Old 09-19-2010, 08:05 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Sounds like someone hot-wired your car.

If you go to helminc.com, you can get the original GM factory service manuals. (much better than anything you can get in a store) These have full schematics for all the car's systems. They are expensive but worth it if you are going to keep the car for a while.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:26 AM
TECH Resident

I dont really see how it would be benifical hot wiring my car using the lumbar circuit lol... It looks as if someone just hardwired it and somthing went wrong on the pass side and blew the fuse. I will check that website out but someone somewhere has to have one on a website, I havent had to buy a service manual for almost 10yrs finding them online so im going to keep hunting. Thanks tho...
Old 09-19-2010, 03:36 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

It sounds like the previous owner caught the thing on fire, etc. and then re-wired stuff. The entire seat should be hooked up to your missing circuit. Maybe they only hooked up the power mechanism to another circuit and left the lumbar out? Even if you put things back the original way, you may still have to contend with whatever damage was done.

Have you ever found a GM manual online? Probably not. Helm is very good in protecting their stuff.