Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Monsoon amp wattage/power output

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 11:52 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monsoon amp wattage/power output

I'm sorry if this has been answered, but I have searched this site and others and found nothing conclusive. I have a few questions.

1) What wattage at what ohm does the stock monsoon amp on a 98 trans am ws6 coupe provide to the door speakers. Not the tweeters, which I believe are run from the head unit.

2) What crossovers/pass filters are on the door speakers (not the tweeters).

3) What wattage at what ohm does the stock amp provide to the speakers near the rear seat (sail panel i believe its called). What crossover/pass filter is on these speakers.

4)any one know the sensitivity on any of the stock speakers?

I have read about the rear seat area speakers being 4ohm dvc, I have just never seen a power rating/power output to go along with that.

I'm asking as Id like to do a budget set up with:

Aftermarket head unit powering the tweeters,
Upgraded door speakers,
mids in the rear seat area speakers, NOT subs, Mids
1 10" sub in the hatch
I'd leave the stock hatch speakers and tweeters alone.

I'm just looking to get the best bang for my buck, so if anyone knows the specs I asked for I'd appreciate it.
Old 11-17-2010, 09:18 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

Many of your questions are answered in the Monsoon FAQ sticky at the top of the section but not all of what you're asking is published. For example, the so-called 500 watt Monsoon amp actually produces about 240 watts RMS into eight channels. Unfortunately, nobody knows how that power is proportioned between the channels. It could be 30 watts each into all eight channels or it could be more or less for each of the different speaker locations.

1) Yes, the door tweeters (and the hatch tweeters) in a Firebird are powered by the head unit. The door mids are 6.5" 2-ohm units.

2) The door mids get full-range, unfiltered signal from the amp. The tweeters have inline high pass filters in the wiring.

3) The sail panel subs are dual voice coil 4-ohm speakers. It would be safe to assume that they get at least 30 watts per channel (60 watts per speaker) since subs require more power than other speakers. The signal is low pass filtered at the amp but the frequency is not published.

4) No idea. But I would guess that they're not very good - something in the mid 80s.

Your best bang for the buck is going to be an aftermarket head unit and one of the replacement speaker sets from Kee Audio or SparksAI (both are sponsors here). Those kits are designed to make the best use of the Monsoon amp as far as speaker placement, power handling, and frequency response. You can still add a sub in a stealthbox if you want more bass.
The following users liked this post:
Winston (02-11-2024)
Old 11-18-2010, 11:17 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sail subs

Whitebird,

On the SparksAI 2.5 package, where more of "midrange bass" driver is used in addition to a separate amp driven sub enclosure...

I was thinking of going this route, but I'm not comfortable without knowing the crossover frequency on the monsoon amp for the low-pass. Any thoughts on bazooka 6.5" sail subs vs midrange bass drivers driven from the monsoon crossever/amp?

Not asking you to take sides with a vendor, since they both offer the Bazookas. Just specifically, can you even GET midrange type frequencies out of that channel?

Quick Reply: Monsoon amp wattage/power output