Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Getting rid of amps and subwoofer... Questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2010, 09:08 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Getting rid of amps and subwoofer... Questions

Previous owner of my car installed two amps in back plus a large subwoofer box thing (not savvy when comes to audio equipment) plus a DUAL stereo with screen that comes out...
It sounds great but it's too much for me and I'd like to shed some weight also. Car originally came with a monsoon. Question is can I remove the amps and subwoofer and still use that stereo or do I need something else? I don't want or need any amps or sub. Just a plain ole CD player would be fine by me.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Depends on what the amp is running. If it's just powering the subs then you should be fine pulling it all out. But if either of the amps are powering the regular speakers, then you will have to do a little rewiring through the monsoon amp (if it's still in there).

Follow the speaker wiring from the amps and see where it goes.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:15 PM
TECH Apprentice

One amp is for the sub, the other is for some speakers... not sure if all or how many. Don't know how many speakers I have but I know previous owner replaced them... with Infiniti... I think. Monsoon amp is long gone.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:19 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by trik396
One amp is for the sub, the other is for some speakers... not sure if all or how many. Don't know how many speakers I have but I know previous owner replaced them... with Infiniti... I think. Monsoon amp is long gone.
Well, the easiest thing will probably be to pull the amp and sub and leave the other amp powering the speakers.

You can probably run 4 speakers off your head unit without the amp, but then you'll have to eliminate 2 and it definitely won't sound as good. Getting rid of the sub and one amp should shed a decent amount of weight.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:21 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sounds like a plan... thanks for your help and quick replies.
Old 11-25-2010, 09:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

No problem man. I'm by no means an expert, but if you need any more help let me know.