Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

using stock amp and aftermarket amp for sub

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2010, 02:30 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Default using stock amp and aftermarket amp for sub

I'm new to the whole stereo electronics world. I am learning as I go so please excuse me if this sounds stupid. I've done some research but not sure about this. BTW it's going in a 01 camaro.

I have a 1900w 1 channel class D amp along with a 10inch sub and a aftermarket headunit. My question is can I run my monsoon amp to power the factory speakers (front 2 and sail panel/hatch speakers) and wire in my new amp to just power my sub?? Is it possible to run both and will it sound good. I got a really good deal on the amp and speaker is the reason for asking this.

I will be installing in couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by sscamaroburn02; 11-30-2010 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2010, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Replied to your PM but figured I would post so others could share in the info.
You can run the stock system with the aftermarket HU which should improve the sound as most aftermarket HU's should sound better then the stock radio by far.
As for adding the sub and amp, it can be done without any problem. In fact, since you have the aftermarket HU it should make things a little easier because you can now use the preamp out on the radio to run the signal to the amp. Assuming it has one...almost all have at least one.
Grab an amp kit and you should be good to go! Good luck with your install!
Old 11-30-2010, 07:24 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm actually doing the same thing with my Z28 and have done it before with other cars that had factory amps. You should have no issues but I have to say, having a nice front stage with an amp and a decent set of components will really impress you.

I already have a nice Alpine head unit and I'm just adding a sub and upgrading my stock speakers and I think i'll be good. I'm not going to go nuts with the speakers this go around like I did with my VW.
Old 12-01-2010, 08:02 AM
TECH Addict

okay is it necessary to keep sail panel speakers and hatch speakers hooked up when added a sub for these cars??
Old 12-13-2010, 12:40 PM
TECH Addict

okay everything is installed and sounds great. How is everyone mounting their amps on the hump above the gas tank. I've read you can glue plyboard down under the carpet and screw into the wood. Any other options??? I would like it to mount as simple as possible

thanks.