Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Steering Wheel Controls/info

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2011, 07:02 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Steering Wheel Controls/info

I just installed the the PAC SWI-PS Universal Steering Wheel Interface for
Pioneer,Sony,Jenson head units I have a Pioneer MVH-P8200BT
It works great the intstall was very easy in my 2002 Camaro SS You hook up the power and ground connect wires, you only use 1 one wire to connect
to the factory radio harness 21 pin connector. Attach the green wire
from the PAC unit and connect it to pin 14 dark blue wire. Cap off the rest of the wires, connect the PAC UNIT to the back of the radio into the wired remote input then program the PAC unit. Works great
thanks for listening
Old 03-24-2011, 10:56 PM
Staging Lane

That would be the way id go, so many people put those other aftermarket stereos in and completely lose the steering wheel controls. 1 of my reasons i bought my WS6 is because the radio hasn't been touched in it..
Old 03-25-2011, 12:25 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

the Metra ASWC also works and is self programming as well
Old 03-25-2011, 12:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

I used the same method as the OP. The only issue I have is if I start the vehicle without the faceplate on first. If I put the faceplate on after ignition I don't seem to have any control using steering wheel commands. In those cases I would have to turn the vehicle ignition off and on again to get it to reset and resume use of steering wheel controls. So for my Sony CDX hu I just remember to attach the faceplate PRIOR to ignition, otherwise I am limited to HU controls or remote control provided with deck. Just a tip if anyone runs into this using the SWI-ps.
Old 03-25-2011, 12:46 PM
On The Tree

With the SWI unit that you program yourself, there are tons of features you can assign to your steering wheel buttons that aren't listed or not available from the stock setup or even on the remote control that came with the aftermarket radio. It's time consuming a bit but I'm very happily using steering wheel controls with my aftermarket head unit.
Old 03-25-2011, 01:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

^^^ Me too One of my favorite mods to do so far actually was my deck install, since my Monsoon was toast.

Quick Reply: Steering Wheel Controls/info