Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

KeeAudio Standard Camaro Package Review

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 02:36 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default KeeAudio Standard Camaro Package Review

After Blowing out my last working Monsoon speaker 4 weeks ago, and left with no sounds in my ride, I needed to get something quick to break the silence. I already knew the dreadful nightmare which is replacing pieces of a Monsoon system, so I began gathering intell through Google searches which led me to this site, and began reading the stickys in this section (very informative) and reviews and responses about Kee Audio. I liked hearing how his packages where direct replacements with no re-wiring needed, so I bit the bullet and just ordered the Standard package hoping it would give me the sound of a fully functional Monsoon system again.

I received my Hatch speakers first (the others were being shipped straight from CDT and came a few days later) Being an Audio newbie I wasnt the most confident on installing this **** myself, but the hatch speakers are easy to access so I figured might as well try. Glad I did, install was so simple a monkey could do it. They came with wires that simply connenct to the speakers and I just used butt connectors to make the connection to the old harness. After going 3weeks now with no music I was quick to test them out, they worked good and i wasnt expecting them to shatter my ear drums, but i have to say, they weren't very loud and kinda disappointing, but at least I wasnt driving in silence anymore. At this point I was hoping the subs and door speakers would make up for these.

Get home from work on Friday and see my package waiting for me. after installing the hatch speakers myself with success I had confidence to attempt these on my own also. Decided to put the sail panel subs in next since it only requires to pop off the perforated speaker cover. Removed the old subs and cut the connectors off. Noticed that these didn't come with wires or the fancy slip on connection so made a quick trip to buy an assortment pack of connections and a soldering gun. I never soldered before, so I soldered the wire onto one of the connections so i could just slip it on, instead of straight to the speaker and possibly dripping hot solder all over it. Got my stock connector all soldered together with my new connections and slipped them on plugged them in and ran a test. Got some thump, but again I wasn't overwhelmed with the power, and was thinking all these reviews I've been reading was just overated hype. I also read of alot peeps complaint about mounting them that the holes dont line up, only 3 screws fit, or some screws are crooked. I didn't have any problems, all four screws fit fine and plush.

Moving on to the door speakers. Removal of the door panel is pretty straight forward, 5 screws total I think to take that sucker off. Opened the box to the new speakers and notice there's alot more parts in here than expected. Found out it's different mounting options for the tweeter. For the camaro you want the tweeter mounted in the middle of the speaker (component style I think). To do this you need to remove the Silver Bullet cone that is mounted in the middle of the speaker in it's place. Easy enough, yeah right! Fingers are to weak to unscrew. Very Carefully clamped a pair of vise grips to it and unscrewed them, (I had visions of the vise grips breaking loose ripping a huge hole into my new speakers, luckily that wasn't the case lol) installed the tweeter into the speaker and went to the sticky section to see the color coded wiring scheme after I clipped the old connector off my blown out door speakers. After successful soldering on the subs I decided to skip the new connections and solder the wires straight to the speaker, confidence is at an all-time high now. Lol Finshed with all that and plugged em in and ran my final test. SUCCESS! And to my amazement everything seemed to come together now, the sound from the sails appeared to be hitting harder now, dont ask why it just does IMO. The door speakers sounded great and I angled the tweeters up. Now to put the door panels back on. This was the hardest part of the whole ****** installation! Lmao. For some reason I was having a hell of a time getting these back on correctly, probably cause it was late and I was by now quite tired. But eventually got everything buttoned up.

My honest opinion on this package...Best Bang for the Buck! My Monsoon system hasn't been fully functional in years, so it's hard to remember what it sounded like new. But this package definitely hits just as hard if not a little harder. I was quick to start judging before having the whole package installed and was pleased when I finally finished. Being that I never installed speakers before was intimidating but glad I did it instead if paying an audio shop to do it. Anyone with some patientce, common sense, minimal mechanical skills, and Internet access shouldn't have a problem doing this. Everything fit perfect for me. My only regret is that I waited all these years blowing out speakers one by one, until I was left with none. When I could of replaced them much sooner, if I researched, with this fantastic package from Kee Audio.

I would recommend this package to anyone looking to upgrade those crappy stock speakers, don't wait until the last minute like i did. Lol It gives enough "BOOM" to be heard, but is not overly obnoxious that your car rattles apart. Now I'm thinking of upgrading the Headunit too since I batted .1000 on the speaker assembly.

Thanks Kee Audio for bringing the Boom back to my Z! Just in time for Summer.

Last edited by Bawlzout; 04-17-2011 at 02:44 AM.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Great review!

It was good to read such a positive review of this system...I'm actually going to be ordoring the Firebird package very soon.
Old 04-17-2011, 03:38 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 215 Likes on 176 Posts

Pics !!!
Old 04-17-2011, 10:29 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by sjsingle1
Pics !!!
When researching and reading all the other threads on these I noticed not alot of people took pics. Let me tell you, once you get started ripping stuff out and getting dirty and makin runs to buy the little stuff you need, pics are the last thing you think about...Until you start to type a review thread a few days later. Lol sorry no pics.
Old 08-25-2011, 12:13 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here was one guy who took pics of the install using the premium package:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...tall-pics.html

The new speakers are now black frame not red anymore.

Quick Reply: KeeAudio Standard Camaro Package Review