Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Electrical Issue NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2011, 04:55 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Issue NEED HELP!

I have a 95 z28, and im having trouble finding out what the hell is wrong. I was driving and I hit a bump,.and right after that... all of my dash lights went off, radio shut off, no tail lights, or brake lights...but I do have head lights. I have checked all fuses and they are good. Im not a fan of electrical so I have no idea where to look. I have checked the ground location on passenger side shock tower, and they all seem okay. Any idea or any solutions or what I should look for? Thanks, jeff.
Old 08-08-2011, 08:54 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Find some wiring diagrams, get a decent multimeter, and start at the fuses, measuring voltage to figure out where you might be losing it. You'll put the positive terminal of the voltmeter at different points and the negative terminal will stay at ground (just use an alligator clip wire to keep it there). Figure out where you lose the voltage. If you do not lose the voltage at all then most likely there's a ground up in the dash that has gone bad.

If you do not have voltage at the fuses then work 'backwards' (towards the battery); else work 'forwards' (toward the electronics)

Your ignition switch may be suspect since you lost quite a lot of different circuits. Though I suppose they are not all ignition-switched... so this is definitely odd. You had a good idea to check your grounds and I would keep investigating that route as well.

Anyway, find some wiring diagrams, they'll help a LOT.
Old 08-14-2011, 06:41 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm confused about the radio going off, but the light switch itself does go bad. That will affect gauge lights and rear lights. Change that switch out and see what symptoms are left. I had the same problem and my headlights still worked like yours do.