Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Need quick answer on speaker wiring for trans am door - Picture included

Search this Thread

Old 08-26-2011, 09:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Need quick answer on speaker wiring for trans am door - Picture included

I was looking at the wiring colors on the stickys and for the firebird front door it says light blue and dark blue are for left front speaker midrange. And tan and gray are for the left Front speaker.

But im confused because the factory tweeter was hooked up on blue and light blue.

So is it just a wording thing? Is the tweeter the "midrange". Im installing CDT speakers

Last edited by Jimmy P; 08-27-2011 at 12:30 AM.
Old 08-26-2011, 09:34 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing someone mixed them up. It would still work just fine, just the HU would drive the woofer cone and the monsoon amp would drive the tweeter. So the weaker output would drive the larger load and vice versa.
Old 08-27-2011, 12:30 AM
TECH Fanatic

You mean it was mixed up from the factory? Or a previous owner removed the connectors and perfectly inserted them in the opposite wires?

According to the stickys on here this is how they should be wired up, but its backwards from how my 2002 originally was hooked up. Does this look right to you guys? Are the dark blue and light blue wires that are on the right side the wires for the midrange?

The factory plug in/connector for the tweeter that was on the light blue and dark blue wires hooked up perfectly to the tweeter wire, but according to the stickys thats where the midrange should be hooked up to. Is there anything I can check? I tryed listening to it, and while it does sound different depending depending on which pair of wires the speakers are hooked up to, I couldn't tell which one sounded better..

Firebird Coupe
E2 - GRAY - left front speaker negative input
E3 - TAN - left front speaker positive input

E15 - DARK BLUE - left front speaker midrange positive output
E16 - LIGHT BLUE - left front speaker midrange negative output
Old 08-27-2011, 08:29 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm guessing it was the previous owner, assuming you aren't the original owner. If you're replacing working speakers, they probably already got them replaced once at some point. Lots of people just used OEM speakers again.

I would put my trust in the FAQ. Otherwise, hook them both up to the tweeter one at a time and whichever one is louder, assume it is driven by the amp and should go to the cone. If you look at the colors on the pins of the Monsoon amp and they match what the FAQ says, that'd be good enough for me but if you're STILL concerned, you could get out a multi-meter and test continuity back to the output pins on the Monsoon amp.

...and don't forget mistakes can be made at the assembly line, too.

Last edited by Capricio; 08-27-2011 at 10:10 AM.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

Otherwise, hook them both up to the tweeter one at a time and whichever one is louder, assume it is driven by the amp and should go to the cone.
Thanks for the tips. I did end up trying that but I think my results might have been a bit skewed as Im not using a factory Monsoon head unit. Im using an Alpine head unit. While I dont know its RMS per channel off hand, I would guess probably prety close to what the Monsoon amplifier in the hatch puts out per channel, right?

I just ended up wiring them up to how the sticky say they should be . It sounds good to me, but I still wonder why they where originally mixed up.

Quick Reply: Need quick answer on speaker wiring for trans am door - Picture included