Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

No power :(.....Sometimes

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2011, 11:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No power :(.....Sometimes

Something is draining my battery I believe. It's extremely strange. The past 3 days at some point, the car battery has died when I try to start the car. It resets my clock. Today at the marina, I turn the power on, then when I tried to start the car it turned over once then I lost all power and the clock was reset again. Turned the key off, tried again, nothing. Even the gauges were out. I thought my buddy was gonna have to jump me. I got out and out of habit, hit the lock button. Car honks, I hear the doors lock. It has to have power to the alarm for that! WTF? I get BACK in the car. It starts right up. When I came home, I turned the car off. Then I turned the key to ON and the battery gauge read about 9 volts. When it's running, it reads about 13. 2 hours later, I go out and try to start the car. I could hear it struggling to start but it did. After I let it run for 10 minutes, I turned it off, restarted it several times. No problems.

I'm thoroughly confused. I checked the alternator, it's good. My subwoofer amp has been in for 5 months with no problems thus far. I checked all my lights and everything. I think the battery (replaced a year ago) is faulty. I don't think it's holding a charge overnight.
Old 10-10-2011, 09:45 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

Auto parts stores now have the ability to test batteries for free. I'd start there.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:43 PM
On The Tree

Alright. I'm hoping its just a bad battery.
Old 10-10-2011, 03:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'd check your grounds (not just at the battery) and your battery terminals/wires. Sometimes the side post batteries can leak acid down the terminal/wire and eat it, for example. Or the terminal could be loose or corroded.
Old 10-11-2011, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

I checked the wires and terminal posts at the battery and the wires from the alternator. I didn't check the grounds other than the one at the batt. What other grounds should I check?