Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Turn signals acting really strange :/

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 10:03 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Turn signals acting really strange :/

Ever since a rain last week, my turn signals have been acrinf strange as all hell. It first started off as not working at all. All they would do is light, not flash at all. no lights are blown. Then out of nowhere, same day, after driving a bit, they start flashing. Usually random though. sometimes flashing sometimes solid lit. Now it seems more often the turns are working however ever since the first sign of issues, it never flashed correctly. Forgive me as this is a bit hard to explain, normally I they flash on and off at a perfectly timed pattern. What I'm seeing now is that they no longer flash this way. Seems they stay on longer and stay off shorter. More of an annoyance than anything, but I can tell something isn't right, not to mention they still fail to flash randomly. Anyone ever exoerince this? Any idea what could be wrong? Please advise! tia
Old 12-15-2011, 07:57 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

You just have a bad flasher.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:43 AM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wssix99
You just have a bad flasher.
That is the device the controls flash timing, etc? Location?
Old 12-15-2011, 10:12 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The turn signal flasher is clipped to the back side of the lower dash panel just to the right of the opening when you remove the knee panel under the steering column (above the OBD II port).

Item #1 in diagram:
Old 12-16-2011, 09:15 AM
Save the manuals!

Received 322 Likes on 295 Posts

BTW - There are two under the dash. The one to the right side is the one WhiteBird00 is describing. The one on the left is for the hazards. (A lot of people get mixed up and replace the wrong one their first time out.)

Your flasher is a thermal flasher and is a completely mechanical device. If you want an exact straight replacement, you won't be able to find one at a chain parts store. Napa and local stores will have them. Otherwise, you should invest a little more and go with an electronic flasher.

Quick Reply: Turn signals acting really strange :/