Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Anyone use the generic ported box for 2 12" subs?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone use the generic ported box for 2 12" subs?

Just like the title states anyone have one of those generic ported boxes made for the camaro? I currently have the generic sealed box but would like some input on the generic ported box. I know custom is better but i would like to know how good the generic ported box is. thank you.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:24 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Almost all of those are tuned way too high for more midbass thump but will sound like garbage. They're also made of poor quality materials. If you want a generic box, stick to sealed, or buy a sealed box and add the proper size/length of port to it for your application.
Old 12-23-2011, 03:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

If you want a ported 12 box, the ported single 12" Probox is the best you can buy for our cars. I have one and it sounds AMAZING. Great SQ, and retarded bass. Its not some cheaply made box either. 3/4" HDF (IIRC) coated inside and out with coating similar to Rhino Lining, except harder and glossy. I got it to simply save time instead of building one since I had so much other stuff I was doing to the car at the time, and I don't regret it one bit. I'll probably be going to a custom PSI 12" shortly and modifying it a bit (sanding the texture out of it, wrapping it, and maybe making some kind of cover with speaker grill cloth), then eventually get rid of it and go with 4 8" subs when I get my system closer to where I want it. But yeah, WELL worth the money.

Last edited by squee; 12-25-2011 at 04:25 AM.
Old 12-24-2011, 10:35 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the input guys, where you get the box squee? How much? And can you post pics that would help me decide. Thank you
Old 12-25-2011, 04:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got it directly from Probox's website. I talked to the owner of the company a couple times, for a hour or more each time, and after shipping and the small discount he gave me, I think the box was in the $350 range. Expensive, but its a loaded box, the shipping was VERY high, since it weighs 75+ pounds with the sub (sub only weighing 12 pounds), and the quality is amazing. If you Google Probox, you'll see some of there boxes and how there assemble and the quality. There not some POS MDF box like on eBay. There made of HDF and coated with there armor coating, which actually plays a big part in the boxes sound. I never put my on a meter, but the owner of the company said that on about 500RMS, it'll hit 143db. DAMN impressive for 500w and a single 12" sub... Especially when you consider how low it'll hit and the response time of the sub. DAMN good SQ.

As for a pictures, I don't have one, but I can get some tomorrow probably. They have a few on there site (ProboxRocks), but I cant find any on Google in a car, except for there sealed 10" and 12" boxes, which fit identical, just have 2 holes instead of one and a port. The dual 12" box is tempting to most, but the single 12" box blows it away, trust me. Mine is the 400watt RMS box, but it looks like they have a slight revision and its 750RMS now. Not sure the differences though.
Old 10-27-2012, 09:34 PM
Teching In

im trying to find a pro box for 2 10inch subs ported but cant fin can you help? do you know how to find ?

Quick Reply: Anyone use the generic ported box for 2 12" subs?