Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Hooking up Firbird Speakers In camaro

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 03:19 PM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Hooking up Firbird Speakers In camaro

Okay so i replaced my door and sail panel speakers with CDT. however, the rear hatch panels in my 2002 camaro needed replaced and i bought some but they are from a firebird, so they have the extra tweeter. I was just going to plug in the 4" hatch speaker into my existing wire harness. however, the connectors won't fit.

I'm wondering are the 4" hatch speakers the same on the camaro and firebird? also from reading the monsoon sticky it says the 4" is powered by the amp but the tweeters are on the firebird are powered from head unit. If i wired the 4" and tweeter together and plug it into the one plug from the factor camaro harness will it work or would it blow the tweeter?

Im wondering if i should re-wire these speakers with different plugs, and if so how should i wire them.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The tweeter would need a crossover. Personally, I highly recommend leaving the hatch speakers out completely, but if you want to use them then either use just the woofers or put a ~10uF capacitor in series with the tweeters. Those speakers will sound like garbage either way.
Old 12-22-2011, 10:32 AM
gpr
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about putting a better quality 4" speaker and tweeter? i see in kee audio's higher end package he includes a cdt 4" speaker for the hatch as well, so i'm assuming a better speaker back here will make it sound better?

I guess for now i'll just leave them unplugged and see how i like it. thanks for the help.
Old 12-22-2011, 02:19 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What use, exactly, do you think those speakers have? To provide audio to your kids who sit in the hatch area?

I wouldn't recommend using the hatch speakers even if you put $500 Focals or Rainbows or Dynaudios or whatever there.