Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

2 ohm or 4 ohm subwoofers?

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 ohm or 4 ohm subwoofers?

One of my subwoofers is blown, i need to replace it, I know that the stock subwoofers are 2 ohm subwoofers, which is best to use, 2 ohm subwoofers or 4 ohm subwoofers? what are the drawbacks and advantages of using either?

BTW I dont use the rear speakrers at all i have them disconnected.

Thanks
Old 01-06-2012, 04:03 PM
On The Tree

I don't know much about what the car had stock, but if you're talking about the rear hatch speakers and they were originally 2 ohm, replace them with 2 ohm. There is no advantage or disadvantage between the two, but the reason you use one over the other is to put the proper load on the amp. With all the variables including different amps, # of subs, dual voice coil vs single, etc., subs are offered with the different ratings to put the proper load on the amp for maximum output.

Didn't see you're last line, so are you talking about the sail panel speakers?

Last edited by sandsk8erz400; 01-06-2012 at 04:06 PM. Reason: Can't read
Old 01-06-2012, 11:20 PM
On The Tree

yeah I am talking about the sail panel speakers - the ones just behind the front seats - (subwoofers). According to the monsoon FAQ the stock are 2 ohm, so if i put 4 ohm instead , more power will be directed to them instead of the rest of the speakers?
Old 01-07-2012, 12:47 AM
Teching In

The stock sail panel subs are 2 ohm. By replacing them with 4 ohm speakers you will actually be getting less power to them.
Old 01-07-2012, 01:04 AM
TECH Resident

i agree you are getting less power at 4 ohms speakers with a 2 ohm amp.

the rule is you can always go over the amp ohms but never under. but you will lose power with going over. your better at matching the ohms

ex. 4 ohm speaker with 2 ohm amp will work but less power.
2 ohm speakers and a 4 ohm amp is bad and u will fry your amp

. ive been in the car audio until i got my camaro. i was into bass competetions and same with all my friends

i wired my buddys hummer with (8) jl w13 with (4) 1000.1 jl amps
(4) 15" type r and and (2) alpine amps. the list goes on.

my setup was (2) 15" type R and a 2400 watt rms and 4800 watt peak amp at 1 ohm stable. you know when yours is loud when you stop at a light and all the mirrors on the car next to urs are all shacking.
Old 01-07-2012, 08:56 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 260 Likes on 224 Posts

The others are correct - doubling the speaker impedance will cut power in half. Think of it like a DC powered circuit... the more resistance, the less current flow.

However, with speakers there are other things to consider. The relationship between power and volume isn't linear. Cutting the power in half doesn't cut the volume in half. In fact, cutting the power in half only reduces volume by about 3dB - about one click of the volume **** (all else being equal). Another thing to consider is the efficiency (sensitivity) of the speaker. A more efficient speaker will produce more volume from the same input power. Considering that the factory subs are quite inefficient, most decent aftermarket subs are at least 3dB more efficient so using a 4-ohm sub in place of the 2-ohm ones will often result in no loss of volume.

So the point is if you get good 4-ohm subs, you probably won't notice any difference in output volume over the factory 2-ohm subs.
Old 01-07-2012, 05:45 PM
On The Tree

Sincere thanks to you all for the info, kudos.

Quick Reply: 2 ohm or 4 ohm subwoofers?