Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

blown door speaker turns down amp

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2012, 03:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default blown door speaker turns down amp

Hi, i have a blown door speaker, that rattles a little bit, but now that i notice the speaker start to rattle, the amp some times turns off (with the voleme turn 3/4), and i have to turn off the radio and power on to hear sound again. So my question is does the blown speaker can make this happen? turn down the amp like if the amp gets hot and shut off automaticaly. Before that i dont remeber to have the same symptom. or could be something else?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Speakers can "blow" in all sorts of ways and depending on how they fail, they may or may not cause the amp to temporarily go into protect or permanently fail (sometimes the former, if left unchecked, will turn into the latter). Amps can also fail intermittently on their own. Is it just the amp that turns off, not the whole system? And is the stock Monsoon system or what? What kind of car? This isn't the right place for an Audi S3, you know? (I'm actually an Audi fan, too... next car, A6 or S6)
Old 01-21-2012, 08:36 AM
Teching In

I'm having this same issue. I know I have a blown speak. Now my amp feels like its out. I was wondering the exact same thing?? My system is 100% stock Monsoon in a 2002 SS. Do you know if the stock amp is known for going out?? Thanks!
Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't think it's known for going out in general, but it's very possible that it has, especially if the speakers have failed in such that they are a partial short or something.

Either replace the speakers and go from there, or if you are worried, replace them with a dummy resistor (something like 5w or 10w should be fine with the volume low, and should be relatively cheap and easy to find) and make sure there is no DC output using a multimeter. Sometimes the same trick properly works without even having a dummy resistor.

Another alternative: If you've got any working but otherwise crappy speakers around, you can try installing them without putting everything back together just to see if the amp sounds okay on them...
Old 01-22-2012, 04:19 PM
Teching In

Thanks for the advice. I'm going to give that a try.
Old 01-25-2012, 04:05 PM
Teching In

Talking

Yes is the stock Monsoon System, i already bought a Kees Audio Ultra high end package, it arrives i guess on Monday, i will install it next weekend, and see if that it fix the problem. When the speakers where in good shape i dont have the problem, so maybe the blown speaker is the cause. (i hope so). I will update when i make the speaker swap. Thanks.