Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Kicker DX500.1 sub amp kills FM reception

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2012, 09:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Kicker DX500.1 sub amp kills FM reception

I have the stock bose system in my 00 Corvette FRC that I just bought recently. It came with a new Kicker DX500.1 sub amp and Kicker sub. Sounds great when listening to cd's, but I have no FM reception except for like one or two stations.....

I have narrowed it down to the reception gets killed when the amp powers up. If I disconnect power to the amp, the reception is great.

This is what i tried.... all of which still kill the fm reception as soon as the amp turns on:

1.amp on, disconnect RCA's
2.Disconnect remote turn on and use other turn on
3.disconnect power and ground from car connections and placed seperate battery in trunk to power amp to isolate potential wire routing issues.

Works great with CD and no noise or feedback issues.

Anybody have issues like this? I did some searching and saw that some amps can cause reception issues. I'm kind of pissed that a new amp could cause these problems. Any way to correct this? I plan to talk to best buy (where amp came from) and Kicker tomorrow. Previous owner of car bought amp and sub this past summer, so the amp is new. Worst case, I may try one of my old *** amps to see if it is just a dirty amp issue.....

thanks for the help!
Old 07-30-2012, 02:26 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm reviving this thread because I'm having the same damn issue in my Camaro with my Alpine amp. Amp powers on, reception sucks. Amp powers off, reception picks back up. What the hell man...
Old 07-30-2012, 08:47 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ended up getting the amp "fixed" by kicker. Appearantly there is an issue with the power supply on that class of amp. they had an engineering fix that used some kind of ceremic plates that were supposed to shield it. I sold my vette before I ever re-installed it..... So, I am not sure if it is fixed or not....

Quick Reply: Kicker DX500.1 sub amp kills FM reception