Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

monsoon w aux input..?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2012, 08:44 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default monsoon w aux input..?

i ran across some of these factory stereos that have aux inputs installed in them. my question is this:

if i have a monsoon system now, do i need to buy a monsoon specific headunit w aux input? i believe i read something stating that the tweeters were powered from the headunit and i'm concerned if i get a non-monsoon headunit that i'll have issues. thanks in advance.

something like this, but for my 99 car:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/96-02-PONTIA...a507ec&vxp=mtr
Old 03-24-2012, 09:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't know much about changing out the head unit. But...

If all you are looking for is an aux imput and you want to maintain the original head unit, you can intall the aux imput yourself. I did mine about a month ago, except that I ran the wires from the unit, under the center console, and drilled a small hole where I can connect into my aux imput in my center console.... If you know the basics of sodering you might want to do a search on this... There are a couple of posts that have decent pictures which tell you what wires you need to slice into to make it work and what part number for the imput you should look for.

Also, parts are pretty cheap if you already have a soddering gun and some soder... I bought my aux imput for like $3 at RadioShack.

Best of luck!
Old 03-25-2012, 09:33 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thx man. i considered this, but my hu display malfunctions and shows random letters/numbers all the time. i thought this would be a good chance to fix that and get an ipod input.
Old 03-25-2012, 05:25 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 327 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by s346k
thx man. i considered this, but my hu display malfunctions and shows random letters/numbers all the time. i thought this would be a good chance to fix that and get an ipod input.
That radio you are looking at is just where someone added an aux input at home. They didn't come from the factory like this.

Your display issue is a common problem and if you get someone else's used unit, you could get the problem back in days, years, who knows?

The display issue is due to cracked solder joints between the display and board. All you have to do is run a hot soldering iron over them to re-melt the solder and you'll be as good as new.
Old 12-25-2012, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Is there anyone local who can do the aux mod to a stock gm radio????? Local to Chicago IL that is?
Old 12-25-2012, 01:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Any threads on re melting the cracked solder joints in the radio? Pictures?
Old 12-25-2012, 09:49 PM
Save the manuals!

Received 327 Likes on 299 Posts

Originally Posted by autogeek23
Any threads on re melting the cracked solder joints in the radio? Pictures?

https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...n-display.html

This thread is unrelated but has a picture of the part:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/stereo-el...lightbulb.html
If I recall correctly, it what the pins on this board, which needed to be remelted.

Quick Reply: monsoon w aux input..?