Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

new speakers or amp and sub?

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-2012, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new speakers or amp and sub?

I have a 99 trans Am with the Monsoon system. I'm not big into stereo systems and just want a overall better sound. My question is: would it be better to replace my speakers with something like a Kee Audio speaker kit (replaces all speakers) or get a sub and an amp? My stock speakers seem to be in good condition but I'd like a fuller cleaner sound. As with most people I'm on a tight budget and want the most bang for the buck.....
Old 04-25-2012, 12:25 PM
On The Tree

My speakers were shot when I bought it, but I didn't realize how bad they really were until I replaced them. Like you, I didn't want a huge system but I wanted a good sound. I replaced all of the stock speakers with the CDT package from Kee Audio and upgraded to an Alpine HU. MUCH better! It doesn't hit hard with the bass but it is good enough. I plan to eventually add the 10" stealth sub, but I'll live for now.

Even if you believe the stock speakers "seem to be in good condition" I would pull them out to inspect them. I couldn't believe how badly rotted my door speakers were. Honestly I think I only had 1 speaker that was actually working properly. Lol!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:58 PM
Closed ex-Sponsor Account

Call me
I have many many choices for you for upgrades
We just sold 2 more speaker upgrade packages today to LS1Tech members!
608 568 3011
Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i would definitely get new speakers first, but if you don't have a good head unit i would scratch everything else and get that. alpine produces really good head units as well as door speakers as i have full alpine setup except for my sub. good products for the money.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:36 PM
Teching In

I guess I already know speakers would be the answer but since I'm not a stereo freak I thought I'd ask. I just hate to replace something that "seems" fine. But than again I'd have no problems replacing stock parts for better performance even though nothing "seems" wrong.
DoubleDmods; I will be looking you up. I did'nt mean Kee Audio was my choice, just throwing out a name that has direct replacement kits everyone knows....No offense..