Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

98 TA back seat speakers?

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2014, 08:29 AM
Teching In

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default 98 TA back seat speakers?

Im gonna be replacing my back speakers with kicker 6 3/4". I was told that I should unplug the amp because it could possibly burn? that doesnt make sense to me since ill only be hooking up the two wires to power the speaker and letting the two wires that are for the amp unplugged.any input on this

Thanks
Old 04-02-2014, 09:37 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

Please read the Monsoon FAQ at the top of the section first.

Replacing sail panel speakers with aftermarket will not damage the factory amp in any way unless you do something stupid like using 1-ohm speakers (the amp isn't 1-ohm stable). But there are other considerations like the fact that the speakers should be dual voice coil 4-ohm/4-ohm subs because the amp sends two channels to each side of low pass filtered signal. A full range speaker (like a coaxial) will sound like crap there.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:44 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
Please read the Monsoon FAQ at the top of the section first.

Replacing sail panel speakers with aftermarket will not damage the factory amp in any way unless you do something stupid like using 1-ohm speakers (the amp isn't 1-ohm stable). But there are other considerations like the fact that the speakers should be dual voice coil 4-ohm/4-ohm subs because the amp sends two channels to each side of low pass filtered signal. A full range speaker (like a coaxial) will sound like crap there.
yea I read through the monsoon faq, I was just wondering why or how the amp would burn if the amp wires arent even hooked up...my kickers are a 4ohm 2way and I know they wont get as much bass as the factory ones but there so bad that I can barely turn up the volume lol
Old 04-02-2014, 09:48 AM
Ungrounded Moderator

Received 278 Likes on 242 Posts

It's not just a case of they won't produce as much bass - in most cases full range speakers will sound really bad there. If you already have the speakers, go ahead and try them. You won't hurt anything as long as you make sure the unused connections are insulated so that they don't ground out against the body (that would fry the amp). But if you're just planning to buy the speakers, you should reconsider getting something more appropriate.
Old 04-02-2014, 09:52 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by WhiteBird00
It's not just a case of they won't produce as much bass - in most cases full range speakers will sound really bad there. If you already have the speakers, go ahead and try them. You won't hurt anything as long as you make sure the unused connections are insulated so that they don't ground out against the body (that would fry the amp). But if you're just planning to buy the speakers, you should reconsider getting something more appropriate.
Thanks for the info ill try them out this weekend and see how they sound

Quick Reply: 98 TA back seat speakers?