Wiring, Stereo & Electronics Audio Components | Radars | Alarms - and things that spark when they shouldn't

Distortion after aftermarket speakers/amp?

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2014, 09:12 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Distortion after aftermarket speakers/amp?

So today I dropped my truck off to get all the door speakers replaced and an amp to push them.. I left the factory subwoofer and amp alone.. I pick up my truck from the audio shop and unfortunately I was on a phone call so I didn't turn on my radio until about 10 minutes down the road.. However, when u did turn on my radio and turn the music up the speakers sound distorted (blown).. I know they're not blown but what could cause that? I'll have to wait until Monday to have the shop take a look at it. Any suggestions to what could cause this?
Old 06-14-2014, 09:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PredatorWS6
So today I dropped my truck off to get all the door speakers replaced and an amp to push them.. I left the factory subwoofer and amp alone.. I pick up my truck from the audio shop and unfortunately I was on a phone call so I didn't turn on my radio until about 10 minutes down the road.. However, when u did turn on my radio and turn the music up the speakers sound distorted (blown).. I know they're not blown but what could cause that? I'll have to wait until Monday to have the shop take a look at it. Any suggestions to what could cause this?
Could be a few things.

Poor amp to speaker match. Amp could be grossly overpowering speakers.

Poorly adjusted amp. Check and make sure it is in hi-pass, not low-pass... Adjust the gain to the lowest setting possible.

Check to see that the speakers are wired correctly... Not bridged.

Odds are the stereo settings fell back on default after being disconnected from the battery during install. Once everything above is straightened out, you can adjust the head unit outputs. Should have an option to high-pass the output to the amp... as well as basic EQ settings. Turn "Loud" off if it has it. All that's does is boost bass and treble. You can turn it back on later once everything else is sorted.
Old 06-15-2014, 04:29 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you! I will certainly look into those suggestions..

Quick Reply: Distortion after aftermarket speakers/amp?